All reviews small playground busy intersection free wifi kowhai park sky channels the river definitely stay here again family unit excellent value for money new zealand host motel noise shower cbd fridge michael
Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Booked at last minute to come down for the Boxing Day races. Very clean and great location. Very helpful owner. Thoroughly recommend for a reasonably priced stay. And they take dogs! And accommodated a late check out without any problem. Would stay again.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank MichaelT8435
Reviewed 4 October 2017

The owner is friendly and understand our situation. He offered us the best family unit with a reasonable rate and great customer service. The room is very clean and comfortable with complete facilities that meet all our needs. It has great outdoor, playground and trampoline that made it perfect and safe for kids. The location is so convenient and only short distance to CBD. River is just outside the motel and we are able to walk across the bridge to get the best river view. This is the best experience I have with Astral Motel. Would strongly recommend in all travellers.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2017

OK Ill start with the not so good and end on a positive note: -
The floors are not carpeted (parquet) so they are cold to walk on. Might be nice in summer but if the weather is cold, take thick socks with you. I suspect it would be quite cold overall in these rooms in the winter, a small heater is provided but it is small.
Great shower but no drainage outlet on bathroom floor and as the shower has excellent water pressure, I advise you to turn it away from the entrance before turning it on or you will have water everywhere.The rooms are a good size, see my thoughts below on what rooms are better. I stayed here for a week so I had time to observe.
Michael, the manager doesn't say much but he was very sweet and obliging and he cooks a great breakfast that comes exactly at the time you order it for. You can name whatever time you want!!
There is a full length mirror in the rooms I was in, a must for us girls but not always easy to find in motels.
The bed in Unit 3 was hard but in Unit 9 was fine.
Small playground for the kids.
Laundry for guests is provided but a tad expensive to use.
I will definitely stay here again, have stayed in 5 other motels in Whanganui over the years and I would say this one is the best value for money even though there may be ones that are a little more aesthetically pleasing. Location is excellent for the river, Kowhai Park (just over the bridge) bottle shop walking distance. Just take very good care when driving out of the drive way if you are turning right it is quite a dangerous spot. Best to go left then and turn as the sinage advises.

Re Room Choice: -
DO NOT CHOOSE Unit 10 if you want room with a kitchen. It's cramped and dated whereas the other rooms with kitchens are much nicer and yet I think are the same price. If not having a kitchen, I would choose Rm 9 unless you want a single bed in your room as well, I was given Rm 3 initially which had a single bed I didn't need and it was too close to the road. Rm 9 was so much nicer with two arm chairs in place of the single bed that was in Unit 3. Rm 9 is also much closer to the office, further from the road so is quieter. It also had a luggage rack which Rm 3 did not.

Room tip: See above in my main review. Not enough characters permitted to write here
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Clean
Good shower
Bed a bit hard for my liking
Quiet even tho near a busy intersection
Family friendly, good safe area for the kids to play
Host very welcoming and helpful
Breakfast available on request

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2017

Astral is very clean, had a great heater, good sized rooms, very accommodating proprietors and excellent value. Locality was great with a short drive to the CBD and routes out of the city. Will definitely stay there again, D Fuller.

Date of stay: July 2017