“Best pie I've ever had”

Kristy’s Cafe
Ranked #17 of 93 Restaurants in Whanganui
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Kristys Café is known WORLDWIDE for our FAMOUS RAETIHI PIE, Amazing Food, Coffee, Service and Atmosphere.
Reviewed 19 September 2017

I was recently driving home from New Plymouth after the All Blacks v Argentina test and was craving a pie...Wanganui had to be the destination to get it for my lunch as I passed through on the way back to Wellington...as I went along the bypass of the city centre out of the blue I saw a sign "Famous Raetihi Pies" on the side of the road - jackpot! As I was starving, and as a lifelong pie lover and aficionado, I was salivating...Entering the cafe, I went straight to the pie warmer. The choice of pies was simply extraordinary, and they looked delicious - you could tell at first glance they were crafted and made with supreme skill. What to get then? I mentioned to the lady that served me I was lured in by their sign outside of famous pies, and she replied "well you better try it first". I was excited.
I was taken by the Lamb and Mint pie - I normally go for Steak and Cheese to sample a particular shop's pie, but Lamb and Mint seemed an attractive proposition - but there were a myriad of others to choose from. So the decision took some time.
The first bite is always the key for a pie - temperature, crispiness of pastry, filling, consistency, flavour - these can all be summed up and judged with the first bite.
And how the first bite ticked all these criteria and more! The lamb and mint filling was extraordinary, the mint infused beautifully with the lamb (not chunks but mince, which was superb) and the pastry crispy and hot (but not too hot). It was the sort of pie that needed to be eaten slowly to fully appreciate its quality. A wonderment to a pie lover. I devoured it slowly as I could to get a full appreciation of it.
I am looking forward to going back again - my experience required me to tell the friendly lady how the pie most definitely lived up to their advertising sign and more.
A lovely flat white was enjoyed to round off this most wonderful experience. Highly recommended, I give this pie a 10/10 - the first maximum rating I've ever given

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Looking for somewhere to have lunch with my hubby & mum, but with outdoor area as we had our wee dog. Spotted Kristy's cafe - quirky outdoor area, interesting memorabilia inside. Pies looked fab but as hubby & mum can't eat pastry opted for toasted sandwiches & cheese scones - yummy. Kirsty came & talked to us - nice guy. Will return when back in Wanganui.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

On a quick stop here driving through, we needed a coffee and little sustenance, but only had credit cards, which aren't accepted. Scrounging through the car we put together $20, which didn't quite meet what we'd grabbed off the shelf. The staff member very kindly accepted back the unopened soft drink bottles and excused the last 40 cents we couldn't find for the cake he'd served....... This just stood out, great understanding, great awareness, great compassion , great humanity. Well done, bloke, you'd get 6 stars if I could give them, you and this business deserve every success.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Passing through again on our way to Hawera it has become somewhat of a tradition to call in here. Pretty miserable day outside so a hot pie and coffee was very much welcomed and both didn't disappoint- the pies were great (steak & cheese, breakfast pie & bacon & egg). The dreadlock wearing guy who delivered our coffees was a hoot and very pleasant to deal with - down to earth kiwis are such a nice find!

Reviewed 12 July 2017

Staff are friendly the food was great and theirs good parking out on the road side.The hours its open are suitable for friends to get together early afternoon.