“More chicken please”

Reserve a table
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2021 via mobile

Went for a group lunch. Everyone was impressed with the quality of their meals since the change of owners.
My husband got the Chicken Katsu Curry which he thoroughly enjoyed.
I ordered the chicken salad and while it was delicious, there was hardly any chicken. I had about 6 small pieces. Considering I paid the same price for my meal as my husband, I was disappointed with the quantity of protein compared to his meal. I would love to try this meal again, but I feel I would have to ask to pay for extra chicken just to get an adequate amount. I do think maybe they were low on chicken as I seemed to have a lot of pumpkin on my plate.

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank Ocatty1
Aqaba, Owner at Aqaba, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2021

Hi Ocatty1,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry that you feel the chicken portion was unsatisfactory, we serve the chicken salad with 140grms chicken (the standard recommended chicken serving size for an adult is 100grm). We always base our portions on standard recommendations to ensure the meal is balanced.

The chicken katsu curry is exactly the same, split between the Katsu piece and the shredded chicken in the curry, the katsu chicken piece often seems bigger as it is panko crumbed.

We can assure you that all chicken portions are weighed and individually portioned to monitor consistency.

We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2021

Ordered four mains last night. Not that impressed for such a high price. My average steak came with McDonald looking chips and some green salad leaves out of a bag. No dressings, as I required gluten and dairy free. Felt ripped off. Others felt meals were just 'Ok.

Date of visit: April 2021
1  Thank ChayNZ
Babara T, General Manager at Aqaba, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2021

Hi ChayNZ,

We sincerely apologies for your recent unsatisfactory experience at Aqaba.

We are constantly striving to improve our customer experience and your feedback in much appreciated.
I have addressed your feedback with the kitchen and front of house staff to ensure that not only better quality meals are served, but also that alternative options are provided for dietary requirements.

It is very important to us that all of our customers leave Aqaba feeling that they have had a great dining experience. Being affordable, whilst maintaining value for money is something that is very important to us.

We hope you visit again soon

Yours sincerely,
Aqaba Management

Reviewed 2 December 2020

Nice surroundings but restaurant prices for a pub setting thought it was overpriced and meals not really worth the high dollar value

Date of visit: November 2020
Aqaba Management, General Manager at Aqaba, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2021

Hi Krystalnz090,

Sincere thanks for your feedback.
We often get told that we are one of the most affordable, value for money restaurants to dine at in Palmerston North.
We are disappointed that you left feeling that your experience was overpriced.
We hope that you come back and visit us again soon

Reviewed 7 October 2020 via mobile

I have always liked the decor of Aqaba and it was lovely to see the open fire and be greeted by a very friendly bartender. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals: a nice selection of dips with pita bread for a starter and a very tasty pork belly salad and a scrumptious prawn and scallop salad. The specials looked very interesting too. Definitely to be recommended.

Date of visit: October 2020
Aqaba Management, Owner at Aqaba, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2021

Hi Sus1952,

It was with a very big smile that we read your positive feedback, we have shared this with our entire team.
The dips & pita bread is very much an old go to faithful on our menu and we love that you loved it!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2020

I enjoyed another good brunch here last year. There was good service and a brace of tasty wedges , not to mention sterling coffee. The fire was also a godsend on what was a chilly late winter's day.

Date of visit: August 2019