“Excellent eating experience”
Review of Aberdeen

Aberdeen
Reserve a table
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Our Restaurant is in the heart of the CBD in Palmerston North. We have a well established menu that caters for all customers. Our very experienced Head Chef Dean Harris can cater to all dietary requirements - given the right amount of notice. We have a good selection of protein choices on the menu as well as excellent vegetarian options. Our desserts are exceptional. Come in and try our menu. 161 Broadway Avenue.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Came to Palmy from Levin with family from Wellington for a upmaket eating experience Aberdeen on Broadway had fab food excellent ambience warm welcome attentative service

Date of visit: May 2024
Review collected in partnership with www.restauranthub.co.nz
Leonie Hapeta, General Manager at Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Allow me to thank you for reviewing your experience at Aberdeen on Broadway.

I am delighted to read such positive comments about your experience with us, especially considering you made the effort to travel so far to dine with us. I appreciate such great feedback and look forward to sharing this with the team.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future for yet another enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 26 April 2024

The service was good, the wait staff were polite and knowledgable. However the food was a huge letdown. The $20 Garlic Ciabatta Bread was only brushed with garlic butter on one side and the balsamic glaze was restrained to say the least.

Both of us had the 300g eye fillet steak, medium rear, for $49 with duck fat potatoes and Béarnaise. My steak was burnt on the top, not charred, burnt. It was between medium rear and rear, despite me ordering a medium rear steak. The duck fat potatoes were floury and undercooked, the salad hadn’t been dressed and my béarnaise sauce had split. My companion ordered the same dish, her steak was mostly rear and a little medium rear, so not evenly cooked or cooked to the right temperature. She sent her’s back and the steak was then overcooked to medium to well done. Her potatoes were slightly more cooked than mine, however they still lacked the flavour of the duck fat, her salad also wasn’t dressed, however her béarnaise wasn’t split. The only consistently good element on their steak dish was their red wine jus.

Aberdeen is a steakhouse, cooking an evenly cooked steak at the correct temperature should be a walk in the park for them. It’s sad to see such an iconic restaurant of Palmerston North fail so miserably. I do hope that they get back to the standards that made them such an icon of Palmy’s restaurant scene.

Date of visit: April 2024
1  Thank Sccr8
Leonie Hapeta, General Manager at Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2024

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Aberdeen on Broadway. Obviously we are very disappointed with this feedback as we pride ourselves on the food and service we deliver. I do however appreciate you taking the time to let us know so we can make improvements in regards to the food.

We do hope that we can welcome you back,

Reviewed 22 March 2024

An absolutely outstanding experience at Aberdeen on Broadway. Could not fault this in any aspect - staff, food, drink, service. We ended up sharing a prawn cocktail starter as the serving was incredibly generous! Absolutely stuffed with fat, juicy prawns. Our steaks were both cooked to perfection and the jus and sauces just right in taste and quantity. All staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Just the right amount of time elapsed between taking orders and food being ready. Would certainly go again.

Date of visit: March 2024
Review collected in partnership with www.restauranthub.co.nz
Leonie Hapeta, General Manager at Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2024

Allow me to thank you for reviewing your experience at Aberdeen on Broadway.

I am delighted to read such positive comments about your dining experience with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed everything from the food, beverage offerings and service so very much. We strive to offer the highest quality dining experience in a relaxed comfortable atmosphere, I am glad we have been able to achieve this.

Reviewed 13 March 2024

we go out for our wedding anniversary and both Hubby and I were really happy with the meal and ambiance

Date of visit: March 2024
Review collected in partnership with www.restauranthub.co.nz
Leonie Hapeta, General Manager at Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2024

Allow me to thank you for reviewing your experience at Aberdeen on Broadway.

I am delighted to read such positive comments about your anniversary dinner. I am so pleased that we were able to offer you such high quality food and service.

Reviewed 5 March 2024

Aberdeen was recommended to us by our host at our B and B. We arrived at 7 pm on March 4. We were seated in the patio area of a half full restaurant. We ordered a fillet each medium rare. The meal arrived 53 minutes later. The couple who sat at the adjacent table and arrived after us received their meals first.
My steak was tough and came with a warmed up slice of Au gratin potatoe. I come from a farm which raised Aberdeen Angus. I would state this was not Aberdeens either the restaurant or the beef’s finest hour. If this meat was aged I would be surprised.
We were very disappointed. The server was very pleasant and a long way from home as we are.

Date of visit: February 2024
Leonie Hapeta, General Manager at Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2024

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Aberdeen on Broadway. Obviously we are very disappointed with this feedback as we pride ourselves on the food and service we deliver. Firstly, I am very sorry that you had to wait for such a long period, it is unacceptable that you should have to wait for such a time, especially after tables that arrived later received their meals first. I have just spoke to the our head chef and he assures me that the beef was most definitely Angus Pure that had just been delivered that day.

I do apologise that your experience could have been better and do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.