“Poorly judged service”
Review of Barista

Barista
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Open every day 8.00AM - 11.00PM Cafe by day, Bistro by night with Art and Music themes in the popular George Street boutique shopping area near the theatres, Te Manawa Art Gallery & museum, NZ Rugby Museum, City Council Chambers, Convention Centre and the Square.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Have been here many times with my husband, like the food, service usually OK but not as good as it once was. Went on my own this time for a quick bite and a drink before a talk - first time on my own after spouse's recent death. I could have been invisible to the younger wait staff. Stood at counter to check where I could sit, as many tables were laid out and, presumably booked. Finally when I asked if I could take a particular table waitress nodded and asked if I was there for a meal. Sat down and water eventually appeared. Waited more. Went up and helped myself to a drinks menu. Further waiting. Eventually went up to counter and asked if I needed to order there. Got a menu at last and waitress said they all assumed I was waiting for someone. Why is it assumed that a woman on her own must be 'waiting for someone'? And why not at least ask if she wants a drink even if she is 'waiting'? Some women do dine alone, folks!

Date of visit: June 2024

Reviewed 19 January 2024

I was on Palmerston North on holiday and dined here. I was very impressed with the range of options available on the menu including desserts. I liked the presentation of the garlic bread and the crunchiness of the bread. I also liked the decor which included the chandelier and the mirror panel on the wall which to me gave the feeling of this place being royal.

Date of visit: January 2024
Reviewed 20 December 2023

Over from the UK visiting family, and went in here for lunch.
Service was great, and prices were very reasonable.
I decided to have the Calamari Salad. Wow! Never had calamari so tender it just melted in the mouth. Amazing.
Might have to pop in again and ask the Chef what his secret is.
Great place!

Date of visit: December 2023
Reviewed 9 August 2023 via mobile

Just visited Barista tonight & my steak was a disaster. Ordered it medium & it came well done & the sauce was wrong. We paid the bill but after when the waitress came to the table I commented on the steak & she said it would be passed on to the chef. We sat & finished our wine but NO response from the kitchen. I wasn’t after a discount or free meal … just an acknowledgment from the chef. Very disappointed 😬

Date of visit: August 2023
Reviewed 13 July 2023

Here for Breakfast ordered Eggs Benedict and Caramel Latte
and both were just Divine cannot be faulted 10/10.
The place was very clean and tidy, staff onto it and bought water
over and in no time breakfast was on the table.
Very friendly staff.