“Amazing, cafe, great food, wonderful staff, but one bad day can have an enormous impact...”
Review of Barista

Barista
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Open every day 8.00AM - 11.00PM Cafe by day, Bistro by night with Art and Music themes in the popular George Street boutique shopping area near the theatres, Te Manawa Art Gallery & museum, NZ Rugby Museum, City Council Chambers, Convention Centre and the Square.
Reviewed 28 May 2021 via mobile

Visiting Palmy for 3 days and visited this iconic cafe several times. Was impressed by the staff, food and overall a great experience. Can't recommend it more...

But my visit this morning was marred by the behaviour of a staff member. When asking for the same (albeit special) coffee order I've happily been served (and equally happily paid extra for) over the last few days I was barked at, and when I queried his response was told tbe staff member didn't care and was overworked.

In a time of massive stress for all, it's understandable that nerves are frayed. And having been involved in the hospo industry I know just how hard it can sometimes be in normal environment - let alone in a covid one.

But the current level of stress in this industry is next level, and some remarkable people - staff and owners - are being pushed to the brink, if not over the edge...

This industry relies on great food (which this place has) and a great customer experience (which likewise it has).

And while it's a shame that such a great experience was marred for me this morning, my post is five stars, and this place is great, and like so many others who aim to deliver excellence, it and its people need our support.

I will be back - perhaps not today - but Barista is definately worth a visit - and I highly recommend.

Date of visit: May 2021

Reviewed 9 May 2021

Our waitress was smiley and efficient but it was the food which let the evening down. The steak was very dry and overcooked, it was tough to cut it up and hard to chew even with the sauce that was on the plate. The BBQ chicken pasta was bland and over salted. On the plus side the starters were excellent and one of the other mains was declared delicious. Maybe, I hope, it was a one off as we love Barista normally and this was the first time we had a poor experience there.

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 23 March 2021 via mobile

Nice food, nicely cooked and tasty. A good selection on the
menu.
Nicely decorated. The provide magazines and daily newspapers.
The staff helpful. Great coffee.

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 5 March 2021 via mobile

It’s either great here or it’s terrible. There is no in between.

Two weeks when we came it was fab. Today it was not.

Today we ordered cabinet food and cold drinks as the day had been warm.

We asked for a knife to cut and share the truffles and were told one would be brought to the table.

The guy didn’t seem particularly pleased that we had taken some time to decide what to order even though there was no one else waiting to be served.

After we ordered he asked if we had a table. I said not yet and then he asked if we were alright to sit outside even though there were two empty non-reserved tables inside.

We agreed to sit outside but the wind was unpleasant and the sun quickly disappeared. We went to the car to retrieve warm jackets and sweatshirts to enable us to tolerate the temperature.

After 7 or 8 minutes of waiting I went inside to ask for a knife again. The waitress didn’t look particularly pleased I had asked her but did get me one straight away.

Sitting outside it seems they play the annoying music that stops groups of teenagers congregating outside of their shop as the inane twangy and annoying noise coming from the speakers doesn’t qualify in being called music.

All in all a disappointing experience today and because last time the experience was a 5 while today was a solid 1 I went with an average score of 3.

I don’t know that I’ll risk this experience again next time I’m looking for an afternoon tea hangout with my daughter.

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 13 January 2021

A friend and I shared the salt and pepper prawns and they were absolutely delicious. But the highlight for both of us was the bowl of seasonal vegetables. Simple veggies, carrot, cauli and broccoli but cooked perfectly and the sauce was superb. I don't eat broccoli usually but bought some today and am going to try to replicate the sauce.

Date of visit: January 2021