“It’s either great here or it’s terrible ”
Review of Barista

Barista
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Open every day 8.00AM - 11.00PM Cafe by day, Bistro by night with Art and Music themes in the popular George Street boutique shopping area near the theatres, Te Manawa Art Gallery & museum, NZ Rugby Museum, City Council Chambers, Convention Centre and the Square.
Reviewed 5 March 2021 via mobile

It’s either great here or it’s terrible. There is no in between.

Two weeks when we came it was fab. Today it was not.

Today we ordered cabinet food and cold drinks as the day had been warm.

We asked for a knife to cut and share the truffles and were told one would be brought to the table.

The guy didn’t seem particularly pleased that we had taken some time to decide what to order even though there was no one else waiting to be served.

After we ordered he asked if we had a table. I said not yet and then he asked if we were alright to sit outside even though there were two empty non-reserved tables inside.

We agreed to sit outside but the wind was unpleasant and the sun quickly disappeared. We went to the car to retrieve warm jackets and sweatshirts to enable us to tolerate the temperature.

After 7 or 8 minutes of waiting I went inside to ask for a knife again. The waitress didn’t look particularly pleased I had asked her but did get me one straight away.

Sitting outside it seems they play the annoying music that stops groups of teenagers congregating outside of their shop as the inane twangy and annoying noise coming from the speakers doesn’t qualify in being called music.

All in all a disappointing experience today and because last time the experience was a 5 while today was a solid 1 I went with an average score of 3.

I don’t know that I’ll risk this experience again next time I’m looking for an afternoon tea hangout with my daughter.

Date of visit: March 2021

Reviewed 13 January 2021

A friend and I shared the salt and pepper prawns and they were absolutely delicious. But the highlight for both of us was the bowl of seasonal vegetables. Simple veggies, carrot, cauli and broccoli but cooked perfectly and the sauce was superb. I don't eat broccoli usually but bought some today and am going to try to replicate the sauce.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 27 November 2020

My workmates and I come here every Friday for a coffee. We try and get in before 10am because after then its chocka!
The staff are friendly and helpful.
The coffee is good. Great tea selection too!
Amazing cabinet food, especially the sweet! I never partake but holy crap it looks delicious.
Will continue to come every Friday

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 9 November 2020

Warm atmosphere, super friendly service and good food. The servings are super generous - some meals are big enough for sharing (such as the potatoes, egg and spinach).

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 29 September 2020 via mobile

Left my boys at the rugby museum and went on the hunt for Carrot cake and coffee. Found both at Barista plus super friendly service and a cosy warm interior. The cabinet food looks good so should have come for lunch!

Date of visit: September 2020