Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 October 2019

Good location a few minutes from town, well priced and included breakfast, milk, tea and coffee etc, all staff members that I dealt with were friendly and welcoming. I was able to check in earlier than usual. Towels included, plenty of blankets and pillows.
Unfortunately my room mate enjoyed having long showers whilst playing her music blasting through a Bluetooth speaker. This is just a risk you take staying in a dorm room.

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed 9 October 2019 via mobile

Very antique hotel, kept in very good condition for its age,close to all amenities,sights,well run and tidy accomodation.Also close to public transport,cafes,bars, restaurants.Would definitely stay here for as long as I could. Can be noisy in the weekends in the evening. Self catering,good showers.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
GarryY43, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2019

Thanks so much Moldymac for your nice comments and stay. Hope to see you again in the future. Garry Young.

Reviewed 25 March 2019

Pretty nice hostel. Decided to book my own room with its own bathroom. Room was nice, came with its own towels and had some snacks and cofee for morning. The entire place is a bit dated but not too bad. They were painting while I was there so some areas smelled like paint but nothing to complain about.

However, when I arrived, there was a note on the office door which said no one was there so I should go knock on another room's door and someone there will be able to help me check in. Upon walking upstairs to go to this room, I did notice a bit of a cigarette smoke smell, as another review has pointed out. I wasn't sure about this becuase one of the first things you see when entering the building is a large "NO Smoking" sign. I then walked to the door I was supposed to and knocked on it. As I got closer to the door, the cigarette smell grew stronger. A man then opened the door and he proceed to check me in and show me to my room. But, low and behold, as soon as he opened the door, there was a lady sitting on the couch, smoking a cigarette. As my first interaction at this hotel, this was a little off putting. Besides this instance, the place was nice and it was in a good location, around 10 minutes walk to the main part of the town.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
GarryY43, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2019

Hi Jake,

Sorry you were disappointed at your check in. I would like to point out that you were upgraded to the en-suited room, you never booked it. As for the Hostel being dated, I totally disagree, it has been furnished in line with it's 116 year old heritage, that's the way we like it. You were in room 22 which is a very nice room. No guest is allowed to smoke in their room. Sorry if you were put off by the smoke from a Tenants live in flat, he lives here and that is a private residence, separate from the Hostel. He was doing me a favour checking you in, as I had an emergency errand to run for a sick staff member.

Best regards, Garry Young

Reviewed 18 July 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay with The Railway Hotel Backpackers.

With a fine balance of convenience and tranquility, the location is ideal for those who want to make the best of Palmy’s urban and natural facets. The en-suited room has got everything you would expect in its counterpart in a hotel. The complimentary breakfast was surprisingly good, with filtered coffee, bananas and a variety of decent bread to choose from. I have also been impressed by the level of tidiness and quietness within the hostel, which was pretty much fully booked during my stay.

Garry, founder and owner of the hostel, is passionate about the career and has been professional in his approach to guests. Winnie was so friendly and accommodating as to make me feel at home throughout.

In sum, The Railway Hotel Backpackers stood out to me as a top hostel in my several years of traveling experience in NZ. (Hence my first review as a tribute.)

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Thank you Michelle. It's a simple little place that we try to make it welcoming for guests. Your feedback is very important to us. Garry Young

Reviewed 17 July 2018

I booked in the bunk room one night and a single room the second night.
When I arrived Gary upgraded me to the single room both nights which was cool.
Having breakfast included starts the day well.
It is an old historic building. I remember being in the bar downstairs when The Dubliners sang in PN in 1969. The bar is now a separate business to the Backpackers.
Great price, friendly staff and central. See you next time Gary!

Room tip: Room 7 is fine
Date of stay: July 2018