Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 April 2018

Really, really good for the price room is very well equipped and wifi is excellent. Great service as well, friendly people all round. Communal amenities are great and the building is a beautiful historic trust building and nicely decorated.

Definitely recommend this as the price does not reflect the quality. Was great all round.

Excellent place.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

You are welcome Sam. Glad you stayed with us. The staff will go the extra mile because we believe we have a nice product here. Really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you. Garry Young

Reviewed 9 April 2018

I was surprized to find a place like this in Palmerston North. I traveled there for business and wanted to try a different place than i normally stay.. I stayed in an en-suited room for 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the facilities and the room itself. You get more in the room than any 5 star place iv'ed stayed in. Staff were great, polite and helpful. I will stay here next time and thoroughly recommend it.

Room tip: Not sure, but i was in room 22, it's nice
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Hi Kylie, thank you for taking a gamble on us. So glad you liked our place. It is a cheaper alternative for sure. If customers are unhappy, i'm unhappy. Hope to see you again. Garry Young

Reviewed 14 January 2018

I stayed here at the end of Novemver 2017. First of all I wish to start with the positives. The owner was welcoming. Extremely helpful. However, there was a bad odour in the hallway and the pungant smell of cigarrette smoke. It was very off putting. The room was adequate however it was very small and felt claustaphobic. The kitchen was very dated and again very small. I would like to show my gratitude for the owner in one respect, by the fact that he did try to keep the room free of other guests which I appreciate. However, this place does need some money spent on it.

Room tip: I am unsure really!
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Hi Jonathan, Thank you for the feedback. Sorry you didn't like us. I would like to refute some of your points. The 3 bed bunk room you were in is 16sq metres, we don't consider that claustrophobic, the room also has a very high ceiling. You said the room was adequate. In the ROOM was, free snacks, tea, coffee, TV, microwave, fridge & 24 hr free uncapped Wi-Fi. You paid $33 per night. The kitchen is exceptionally well equipped and is 15sq metres, tonnes of bench space. This is by far big enough for our operation. I am willing to bet you never had to cue for your free breakfast or to cook your dinner. We are an historic trust building and the decor is suited to that era and is clean. However, I concede that a lot of the Backpacker fraternity seem to think it's their right to smoke where ever they are, if caught are removed from the premises. I apologize for that.

Garry Young Railway Hotel Backpackers.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

It was really nice staying in this backpackers. I've stayed in a 3 bed dorm. It was clean and the beds comfortable. I've made a mistake at the booking but it wasn't a problem. It's located pretty close to the town centre and you can walk there.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Thank you Claosland for the kind feedback. We have made a big effort to make our Bunk beds really comfortable. Garry Young

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Stayed here for a night last week. Arrived on Intercity Bus and walked about 10 mins to the hotel. Booked directly with them for a 3 bed dorm. Arrived at about 7.15PM and tried to look for the door that leads to the backpacker. Entered the Pub downstairs and asked a 40 plus old lady working there on the direction. She was not friendly at all and just told me she did not know. But fortunately I found it myself just next to the Pub on Main Street and wow it is such a clean and look so nicely decorated and so clean. Met Barrie who is so helpful and friendly unlike the lady at the Pub downstairs. He upgraded my room to a private ensuite room ,own fridge, microwave and DVD player .Its the best room I ever have in my New Zealand trip. Breakfast is included and free wifi works well. They have a nice lounge where you can watch a big screen TV. Location is so central that you can walk to the square and do some shopping and have some meals outside. Would definitely stay here again and would strongly recommend others to stay here if they visit Palmerstone North.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank David_TanPuchong
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thanks for staying with us David, glad you enjoyed our little place. The Bar downstairs is a separate business to us. Sometimes they are just plain lazy and forget that they are in the hospitality business, that aside, happy travels, hope to see you again. Garry Young.