Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 January 2018

I stayed here at the end of Novemver 2017. First of all I wish to start with the positives. The owner was welcoming. Extremely helpful. However, there was a bad odour in the hallway and the pungant smell of cigarrette smoke. It was very off putting. The room was adequate however it was very small and felt claustaphobic. The kitchen was very dated and again very small. I would like to show my gratitude for the owner in one respect, by the fact that he did try to keep the room free of other guests which I appreciate. However, this place does need some money spent on it.

Room tip: I am unsure really!
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Hi Jonathan, Thank you for the feedback. Sorry you didn't like us. I would like to refute some of your points. The 3 bed bunk room you were in is 16sq metres, we don't consider that claustrophobic, the room also has a very high ceiling. You said the room was adequate. In the ROOM was, free snacks, tea, coffee, TV, microwave, fridge & 24 hr free uncapped Wi-Fi. You paid $33 per night. The kitchen is exceptionally well equipped and is 15sq metres, tonnes of bench space. This is by far big enough for our operation. I am willing to bet you never had to cue for your free breakfast or to cook your dinner. We are an historic trust building and the decor is suited to that era and is clean. However, I concede that a lot of the Backpacker fraternity seem to think it's their right to smoke where ever they are, if caught are removed from the premises. I apologize for that.

Garry Young Railway Hotel Backpackers.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

It was really nice staying in this backpackers. I've stayed in a 3 bed dorm. It was clean and the beds comfortable. I've made a mistake at the booking but it wasn't a problem. It's located pretty close to the town centre and you can walk there.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Thank you Claosland for the kind feedback. We have made a big effort to make our Bunk beds really comfortable. Garry Young

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Stayed here for a night last week. Arrived on Intercity Bus and walked about 10 mins to the hotel. Booked directly with them for a 3 bed dorm. Arrived at about 7.15PM and tried to look for the door that leads to the backpacker. Entered the Pub downstairs and asked a 40 plus old lady working there on the direction. She was not friendly at all and just told me she did not know. But fortunately I found it myself just next to the Pub on Main Street and wow it is such a clean and look so nicely decorated and so clean. Met Barrie who is so helpful and friendly unlike the lady at the Pub downstairs. He upgraded my room to a private ensuite room ,own fridge, microwave and DVD player .Its the best room I ever have in my New Zealand trip. Breakfast is included and free wifi works well. They have a nice lounge where you can watch a big screen TV. Location is so central that you can walk to the square and do some shopping and have some meals outside. Would definitely stay here again and would strongly recommend others to stay here if they visit Palmerstone North.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank David_TanPuchong
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thanks for staying with us David, glad you enjoyed our little place. The Bar downstairs is a separate business to us. Sometimes they are just plain lazy and forget that they are in the hospitality business, that aside, happy travels, hope to see you again. Garry Young.

Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

This was the most equipped stop we had clean and basic full shower and bathroom in room.
Bed very comfortable air con breakfast light provided. Microwave in room and plunger coffee plenty of towels fresh milk soap good shower.
Nice owner/manager showed us our room pointed out how the electronic key worked for after hours entry.
Nice big kitchen for others to use well thought out and delivered.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TasmaniaLovesydney
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2017

Thank you so much for great feedback. With the travelling you guys have done and all your reviews, this is important to us. Hope to see you again. Garry Young.

Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

Needed a place to stay in Palmerston North at very short notice. Barry was very helpful, even picked me up from the airport and dropped me off the next morning.

Had a very good sleep. Great backpackers.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2017

Thank you for the nice compliment. Barrie dropped me off at the airport then picked you up. Always a pleasure. Garry Young