All reviews secure parking room service staff were pleasant and helpful modern hotel business hotel the air conditioning outstanding customer service check in was easy twin room good size would stay again bed and pillows heat pump business trip free wifi town centre heritage
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Bottom line up front, stuffy dated rooms that are not well cared for. Friendly staff though.

Partner and I decided to stay here for a function in Palmerston North. Everything is okay, with just a little lack of care everywhere, some of the lights in the room amd bathroom were blown, bathroom even if all the lights had worked was too dark for my partner to do her makeup, we had to ask for towels, the AC didnt work regardless of setting making for a very stuffy room, the audio on the tv didnt work so we couldnt play music... the list goes on. Nothing major, just minor things reflecting a lack of care. Bathroom could do with a proper clean too.
Wouldn't recommend at their current price point.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
DistinctionTeam, Front Office Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Good Afternoon Cameron,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback from your stay. We appreciate all guest reviews as we continually strive to improve the service we deliver to our guests. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our reception desk is open 24 hours a day and our team are happy to assist when we are made aware of any issues with the rooms. In this instance there has been slip in our processes and these are being looked into with our Head Housekeeper. Thank you for bringing these to our attention.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Although staff were friendly and the bed was comfortable that's where the pleasantries ended. Timed hall lights were annoying. Couldn't find the lights witch for my room in the dark in arrival. Air con didn't turn on with my first several attempts. When it finally did it was noisy and clunky. Column oil heater kept the edge off the cold while the heat pump intermittently turned on and off. Water pressure in the shower was AWFUL! ! Trying to sleep after a frustrating shower I could hear occupants above as they walked around their room. I don't think I'll be staying here again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
DistinctionTeam, Front Office Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Good Morning Tina,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations and are sorry that the power card for the lights was not clearly explained to you upon arrival.
We understand that there are some issues with the air conditioning units in the older wing of the hotel and these are currently being upgraded. I recommend trying the rooms in the Tower wing of the hotel which are much more modern having been built in 2005 and air conditioning is operated by a central unit with individuals controls for each room.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Have stayed there often but with the rebranding to Distinction’s I feel there needs to be an upgrade to the decor and service .
Rooms are uninteresting, Brown and orange with a blue bathroom sink .
Lighting in the bathroom makes it difficult to apply makeup .
Bedding ..hmmm..time to invest in new pillows with a choice of hard and soft .
No opening windows and a less than effective heating cooling system makes these rooms very stuffy .

New menu is very dissappointing and limited ...while it’s nice to be upmarket and offer Duck and Lamb shanks ...where are the vege options or fish .
The old menu of a good burger and fish and chips is comfort food for those that are there fir work rather than a dining experience.
Seafood chowder tasty but only Luke warm with sad piece of bread .
Maintenance needs to be upgraded with fridges either noisy or not working and light bulbs not working or too dim .

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback from your stay in Palmerston North. We appreciate all guest feedback so that we can continually improve the services we offer our guests.
We are currently working with our owner and suppliers in regards to updating the hotel and I am happy to advise that we have an order of pillows on the way which hope to have in rooms as soon as possible. We have just adjusted our menu in the last week to include a couple more favorites. We do offer Fish n' Chips and Burgers on our Cuban Bar menu and these are always available in our Nosh Restaurant should a guest wish to dine off that menu instead. We look forward to welcoming you back to Palmerston North again soon and showcasing what Distinction Hotels has to offer.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I had read good reviews about this hotel, but was disappointed to get a small and dark room with a view to the backyard. Furthermore the bathroom was very small and badly installed. I almost broke my toe during the night on the tiled concrete shower foundation. The door was hard to open and the safe not functioning. Originally we thought we would stay one more night but decided not to. Maybe we were unlucky to get such a room? But have stayed in many hotels with much more comfort and elegance for cheaper. Location was great though!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Good Morning Mogens,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel. We are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations and are very sorry you experienced these issues with us. Your room was booked in the older wing of the hotel and these rooms are a little smaller than the rooms in our newer Tower wing. We have since repaired the broken tile in this room and the Hotel Manager has decided to get this completely retiled for which we are currently awaiting a tiler. We have also replaced the batteries in the safe. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I recommend staying in the newer Tower wing of the hotel for your next stay with us as these rooms are more suited to your requirements.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

There's not a huge amount going for this hotel - it's old and run down and pretty bland really. My room was oddly shaped, drafty and smelled odd. It did have a view over a small car park though, so I could make sure my rental wasn't getting pinched ;). The bar was okay - warm and cozy sohad a couple of drinks with my colleagues. It wasn't a great sleep, I had to have the heater running strong to combat the draft so it was noisy, too hot and the bed was not great.
There is an interesting lift though - apparently the oldest in NZ. It's faster to walk up the three flights of steps!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
DistinctionTeam, Front Office Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Good Evening,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We appreciate all guest feedback so that we can continually improve the service we offer our guests. We do have two different wings of the hotel which are quite different from one another. I believe that you may have stayed in the Heritage wing of the hotel which was first built in 1927. This part of the hotel is accessed by a lovely Heritage lift which was installed when the hotel was first built and to our knowledge is the oldest operational lift in New Zealand. Thank you for bringing these maintenance issues to our attention so that we can address these.

The other wing of the hotel is our Tower wing which was built in 2005 and is your more typical modern hotel style. I recommend staying in this wing the next time you are with us as this maybe more comfortable. This wing of the hotel is accessed by the modern electric lifts and all rooms are the same square footage and shape.