All reviews high windows porterhouse lamb in town dining room ferg criteria kangaroos accommodation bath presentation netflix bonus
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

Back in Sale on business and back at the Cri Hotel, for me there isn’t anywhere else I would stay. If you are ever in Sale, for business or pleasure, you have to stay here, no question! I have tried the other hotels and they just don’t come close. Don’t be put off by the hotel being over a pub / restaurant, believe me, that is one of the selling points. The rooms may be a bit small, but are newly refurbished to a high standard and have everything you need for a good nights sleep (remember why you are here). The hotel is centrally located, easy to find and close to everything in Sale. But more than that, the service is exemplary, harking back to what good service should be with very pleasant, friendly and attentive staff, who even show you to your room on check in, when was the last time any of the chain hotels did that for you?? The same applies to the bar and restaurant with friendly, polite and sincere service. The food in the restaurant is superb, high quality and quick and will rival any top end restaurant, anywhere for quality of food and service. Personally, I should probably try something else, but the steaks are some of the best I have had anywhere in the world, so why should I!!

Seriously, you will kick yourself if you go anywhere else

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

This was the first time I had been to this hotel in about 32 years so it was a pleasant surprise to see the update and how the character of the pub had not been diminished.

When I say pub it really is a cross between a bar and a restaurant with table reservations and service. The place was very very clean and tidy.

The decor was lovely and the staff professional, friendly and attentive. Always nice to be asked how your meal was by someone who really wants to know.

Food quality was excellent for the most part and I base this in looking at what was being provided around me. Presentation was superb with the greens (broccolini) still crisp.

I had the porterhouse and a local Merlot. It was pretty good but was more medium that medium rare. However the steak was a true 350 grams unlike some I have seen. This cost me $47 which is not cheap but it was certainly restaurant quality and the wine was a premium drop so all good.

Access is excellent so no problems for those with mobility issues. There is outside dining as well but is was very cold when I was there. It would be brilliant in spring.

Except for the steak I would have given this a 5 ..... and it probably deserves it.

So I suggest is is one place you should try in Sale.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2018

The room had a great mix of old and new, it was very clean and comfortable. The hotel offers a classy pub experience overall as it has been restored and has maintained the character of an older pub with a modern touch. The restaurant downstairs was very busy on a weeknight so worth booking, the meals were very nice.

Room tip: Minimal street noise for its location, but if you retire early and you are a light sleeper you may consider requesting a quieter room.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2018

Decided to stop here for lunch after shopping in Sale.lovely welcome, excellent menu. We chose to have the special blue cheese soufflé and beef cheek ragu on paparadelle.
Both were excellent, but the Star was definitely the dessert we shared a rocky road parfait. Topped with floss, it had all the tastes of rocky road, toffee choc stick, small bites of home made violet crumble, Italian meringue and pools of berry jelly. Beautiful presentation. Service was helpful, friendly and professional.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
CriterionHotelSale, General Manager at Criterion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Hi Davbesfoodie,
Thanks for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your visit to the hotel.
Kind Regards
Fergus Horan

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Not bad at all, perfect set up
So clean , staff friendly and just a spot to place we could enjoy anytime of the week ... Shame we couldn’t eat but highly recommend .... get on down to the criterion we love it

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business

Hi Ben F
Thanks for your review, and thanks for calling in! We love what we do here at the pub!
I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Kind Regards