“Well worth a visit, particularly around feeding time”

Punanga Manu o Te Anau
Ranked #11 of 20 things to do in Te Anau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Punanga Manu o Te Anau/Te Anau Bird Sanctuary is set on the shores of Lake Te Anau, and is an easy 15 minute walk from the Te Rua-o-te-Moko/Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre. Take a peek at some of Fiordland’s special birds that are difficult to see in the wild. A great place for children and families, the sanctuary is open to the public from dawn to duck. Entry is free for self-guided visitors, but a donation is appreciated to help with the running of the sanctuary. Join DOC rangers for the daily feeding tours to observe and learn about these unique birds, including the rare flightless takahē – a ‘must see’ for Fiordland visitors. Daily feeding tour times: Summer: 9:30 am (1 October - 31 March) Winter: 10:30 am (1 April - 30 September
Reviewed 13 December 2016

This free access bird sanctuary, that you can combine with a nice walk around the lake offers a close look at many local endangered bird species. You can see Takahe, Owls, ducks, Kaka and more. While you have a better chance to see some of the shyer birds around feeding times (9.30 summer), if you take your time, you can see all the birds that are kept here. Most of the birds have some sort of defect or injury and would not survive in the wild, which is another very good thing about this place. It is not a zoo out to make money, but it gives theses anials a chance at surival and combines this goal with giving humans a chance to appreciate the rare birds of NZ that still exist.

2  Thank Pixxidix
in 3 reviews
"te"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

It is worth popping into this little park at feeding time as you get to meet the keeper and see the birds perhaps a bit closer than usual. It is a small park and it is run by the Department of Conservation with little to no funding so they rely on donations. Keep this in mind when you visit and think about the work they are doing to rehabilitate birds. The keeper was friendly and knowledgeable and my husband and I enjoyed our visit.

2  Thank Danielle R
Reviewed 16 October 2016

Right on the lake, a lovely walk from the town centre. We saw Takahe, Kakariki, Kaka and Tui. Very enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 October 2016

I was a little bit disappointed. On one side, I'm happy that there is not too many birds on captivity. But I couldn't appreciate the few that were there. I couldn't arrived during the feeding time and I think that's the best moment to be able to see them. Even some people during the day after I'd been there told me that. So I recommend to check when is the feeding time, because change between winter and summer and try to go at that time.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 September 2016

We changed our original plans so that we could visit when a 'meet the locals' tour was running. In the winter they ran at 10:30 a.m and 9:30 a.m in the summer. The Te Anau visitors centre also has the times if you're unsure. We were able to go inside the Takahe exhibit with our guide and learn about their history. There were some mallards and Canada geese that the children were able to feed in the next enclosure. I certainly didn't expect the geese out in New Zealand. Then we visited the morepork owl and the kaka. The adults were there but the juveniles had been released recently.

Considering this is an entry by gold coin donation park and given the work they do to rescue, rehabilitate and/or breed native and non-native birds I give them five stars. They are upgrading some of the enclosures as funding comes in I hope they continue to their work. While the park doesn't have every native bird, it's still worth a visit if you're already in the area for Milford Sound or Te Anau.