All reviews milford sound one night superior room coach tour middle of town central location buffet breakfast two double beds no air conditioning room was large the main street new zealand small town an upgrade glow worm caves wi fi comfortable stay
Reviewed 19 June 2018

We stayed here 2 nights in May 2018 either side of our cruise on Milford Sound.

There is Hilights restaurant for dinner, but it wasn’t open either night we stayed. We weren’t told of this when we checked in though which would have saved us time later when we went back to book for dinner the first night. This is also the same place where you have breakfasts. It was average for a hotel buffet breakfast.

Our deluxe room felt dated. (Still not sure what made it deluxe.) The gold bedspread was just uncomfortable to sleep under – heavy and firm, but it was cold so it was necessary. The bed and pillows were not particularly comfortable. Their website boasts modern, refurbished rooms. Really? Perhaps I have a different definition of modern and I’d be surprised if they were refurbished less than 10-12 years ago. (If they were, I hope you didn’t pay the designer. There is spiel on the website about the rooms “Fiordland theme, with carpets in deep blue hues, and silk-like drapes in a muted watermark design incorporating the grey/blue green colours of our unique flightless native bird the Takahe. The pale golds and beiges of tussock grass runs through the whole theme.”) So the rooms have blue carpet, cream and blue walls with gold bedspreads. Hardly modern, refurbished or deluxe.

This hotel claims to be rated 4 star, but I don’t know by whom. Are the standards a lot lower in New Zealand? There is no way on earth this is actually 4 star. I’d also consider 3 star might be stretching it.

There were 2 queen size beds with just 1 bedside table between. So I had to pull an armchair along near my side of the bed to put things on. 4 star?

The bathroom had some renovation, but the vanity top / basin was poorly thought out. The basin sits atop the (probably normal height) vanity which makes it weirdly high. Forget it if you have kids in this room. They won’t be able to use the basin. I’m 5 foot 4 and I struggled. And there were just 2 towels. We went by the front desk to get an extra towel the first day, but then had to do the same thing the next day as housekeeping replaced the 3 towels with 2 towels.

We ate at the connected pub Bailiez's and on the second night they mixed up my husbands meal with someone else’s (unconnected to us), though he didn’t immediately notice. They had both ordered venison – and my husband had started to eat her meal before he realised. Once she complained, the staff then realised what they’d done. (Their excuse – a new staff member.) My husband declined their offer to send it back because it would have taken ages and we would have eaten separately. But we ended up paying $35 for his meal that wasn’t what he ordered and wasn’t prepared as he requested. It wasn’t even nice - very tough. We really should have requested something, a discount maybe, but we were tired and didn’t want the drama. I’m cranky now though when I think of it.

As you might expect from the location, tour buses came and went. This made it quite busy in the breakfast area and pub from time to time.

The staff were pleasant, but it just didn’t feel as natural as other places we stayed – not really sure why.

It was somehow just not a comfortable experience. I wished we had opted to drive back to Queenstown after the Milford Sound Cruise and not stayed the second night, but we had pre-paid.

Would we stay again? Honestly, no. I’d chalk it up to experience and go elsewhere. This can’t be the best Te Anau has to offer at this price.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
2  Thank barney5717
Reviewed 4 June 2018

This hotel has a large lake to enjoy in walking distance. Rooms are large and well maintained which made our stay comfortable. But during or brief stay there was a power problem which they were not equipped to handle. Restaurant is good.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are better.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
KevinDsouza84, Manager at Distinction Luxmore Hotel Lake Te Anau, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your stay with us. I am glad you found our central location conducive to your needs and found your room comfortable and spacious. My apologies with the power cut, as you would have noticed that was due to the wild weather we had cutting off the power supply to the entire town. I hope this did not impede too much on your stay and you had a great time in beautiful Fiordland.

Reviewed 26 May 2018

This was an acceptable place to stay for 4 nights, but it was a little overpriced for the service we received. We arrived 15 prior to check-in time of 2.00pm. At 2pm, we were informed that our room was not ready. It wasn't ready until sometime after 2.15pm. We were eager to get to our room, as we had come by bus from Queenstown. The room itself was outdated, but otherwise ok. A few times during our stay, new soap and towels were not issued when they had been taken away, however management was apologetic and rectified this quickly. We were looking forward to a few dinners at their restaurant, Hilights. The first time we were informed that there was a large group being served, so we had to go after they had arrived. A second booking was unavailable, as there was no group booking that night, so the restaurant was closed. It is apparent that their restaurant prioritises groups instead of regular customers or hotel guests. When I made the room booking with their central office, I asked them to include breakfast each morning in the tariff and they assured me that breakfast was available from 6.00am on the day that our bus departed, On our last day, we were catching a early bus at 7.00am. As we discovered, breakfast actually didn't begin until 6.30am. We deemed that this was unfeasible for us, so we asked reception to take breakfast off our bill for that morning. After a difficult conversation with the duty manager the night before, we managed to remove this charge from our bill, albeit with less than the full amount we should have got. He talked down to us and tried to convince us that the central booking office gave us more than what we should have got for what we paid. This accommodation did the job and had a good location, however the attitude of the reception staff was very different to the pleasant staff at the central booking office and there appeared to be a lack of local knowledge among the restaurant staff. If you have freedom regarding your budget, stay somewhere which is more customer focused.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
KevinDsouza84, Manager at Distinction Luxmore Hotel Lake Te Anau, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your stay with us. I am disappointed to read that the service you received during your stay was not up to your expectations. This is certainly not the standards we strive to achieve and my sincerest apologies for this. I have taken note of all of your comments and have spoken to the team to ensure this is not repeated. I would however, like to ask if you may please contact me on kevin.d'souza@distinctionluxmore.co.nz so i can discuss this matter further with you.
Once again, my sincere apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin D'Souza
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 26 May 2018

We stayed here with our tour group Grand Pacific Tours for one night. We found the hotel catered to all our needs, the room was large, very clean all the amenities you needed including free wifi.
Our evening dinner was very nice as was our buffet breakfast the following morning.
All staff we encountered we friendly, attentive and professional, and we enjoyed our stay at the hotel.
The location is perfect , a stroll to the lake and the centre of Te Anau.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your stay with us, I am glad to read you had a pleasant stay and found your room comfortable and clean. Trust you had a great time in beautiful Fiordland and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

I stayed here on my tour of South Island. I had a big room again. Gym. Real bath in the bathroom as opposed to only a shower. Fan. Wi-fi. Meet and greet by staff. Very busy with tour groups. Meal times like a station concourse in the rush hour with lots of people going to and fro but it works.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ivor M
KevinDsouza84, Manager at Distinction Luxmore Hotel Lake Te Anau, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your stay with us. I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and experienced our warm southern hospitality. Trust you had a great time in beautiful Fiordland and we look forward to welcoming you back.