Book In Advance

from US$186.50
from US$241.70
from US$200.60
1,982 results
All reviews overnight cruise fiordland expeditions wilmot pass real journeys across lake manapouri deep cove charters tasman sea power station catfish southern secret tutoko ii fresh crayfish day trip new zealand blue cod fur seals west arm
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

We booked the overnight cruise with Real Journeys... well organised and great fun
Well informed and interesting commentary from people who care
Great food... be prepared to loosen your belt.
Cabin was compact - it is a boat-but comfortable and clean.
The scenery is stunning...even for NZ ... you can paddle a kayak or go out in a tender before supper in the cove we stay overnight in. The next day we stopped later in a cove...not another boat or person around... all engines etc turned off and everyone asked to not talk, walk or take photos...so no human noises...just the wind lapping water and nature... lovely experience
Do it!

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Nicholas T
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

We did this trip the day after we’d done Milford Sound, and whilst it is well-organised and no doubt would be beautiful on a sunny dry day, it was a long wet trip when it’s raining! True, the waterfalls fish all the more, but if you’ve already done Milford Sound, it’s a bit of an anticlimax, especially if low cloud obscured the views! (But then that’s the risk you take in fiord-land country!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

Highly recommend the day tour organised by Real Journeys. Simply Stunning! We took a bus to take a boat to take 2 more buses before boarding the boat for a 3 hour cruise through Doubtful Sounds. Seals, Dolphins, Albatrosses, Pouring Rain, Sunshine, Rainbows, waterfalls galore and a cruise out to the Tasman Sea. We had it all and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well organised and staff were professional. Do it!

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 28 April 2018

I recently spent two weeks traveling New South Wales and the South Island of New Zealand with my best friend and Real Journey's Overnight Cruise on the Doubtful Sound was an experience so magical that it nearly eclipsed the rest of what was easily the best vacation I've ever taken.

Everything and everyone was perfect. From the clean and spacious Real Journey's office in Te Anau to the dry-humored and welcoming bus driver who took us to our ferry, which took us to another bus, which carted us over the mountains to the dock at Doubtful Sound where we boarded the cruise, each interaction was professional and warm.

Over the next 24ish hours, my friend and I--along with a cast of lovely other passengers with whom we became extremely close-- enjoyed the olympics of nature: kayaking in the pristine water and breathtaking views of the sound, soaring clouds, verdant jungles tucked below peaks that rival the beauty of the swiss alps, and, at the gate of the Tasman sea, we witnessed the purest, most golden sunset I have ever seen as it burst through the clouds and illuminated the waves that crashed teal over the rocky outcroppings of a fur seal colony. All of this would have been overwhelming enough, especially with the ship bobbing in an exciting but not threatening way, except that when I turned around to look back at the Fjord, my jaw dropped at the perfect double rainbow arcing gracefully over the ships' pilot house. Nothing I've ever seen in my life has come close to the level of majesty and awe of that evening.

Aside from the unearthly beauty--which is reason enough to get yourself a ticket right now-- each staff member worked tirelessly to make sure everyone's experience, including the people who were sharing quadrooms like my friend and I, had the best time possible.

When I expressed an interest in ships, the Captain, Dave, sent a crew member to show me the engine room. When I asked about Real Journeys and his experience with them out of curiosity for myself, John--one of the younger crew-- patiently talked me through all of the details of his training with them... even though I asked him during our kayak trip! Nicola, one of the head staff, was helpful, attentive, and humorous, while Mathew, the ship's cook, whipped up mouth-watering meal after mouth-watering meal and introduced them all with a booming voice and charming smile. By the way, the food is excellent-- we had expected it to be 'O.K.' at best, but Mathew is fantastic at what he does, and more than willing to account for dietary needs as requested. While I didn't have a chance to meet every crew member (24 hours is too short a time in such good company) I do also want to quickly shout out Natalie and Melissa for being patient good sports about showing me around the engine room briefly (and providing proper ear protection to boot) as well as teaching me how to kayak.

Real Journeys gave us an experience--as well as new friends-- that we will treasure for the rest of our lives. I cannot recommend them enough! Go get tickets!

Date of experience: April 2018
2  Thank Nathan S
Reviewed 28 April 2018

We went to Doubtful Sound from Te Anau with Real Journeys. They use a large bus and take large groups, but it is well-done, and I don't think many other operators go to Doubtful Sound. I recommend going from Te Anau rather than Queenstown because the trip from Queenstown adds 2 hours onto your bus ride each way. The trip is quite involved from Te Anau, first a bus ride, then a boat across Lake Manapuri, then another bus ride, then the boat ride on Doubtful Sound.Real Journeys' boat is very nice and comfortable. Doubtful Sound is much larger than Milford Sound but both are beautiful.

Date of experience: February 2018