“Fantastic time! (Raft and Ramble)”

Packrafting New Zealand
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: When it comes to outdoor adventure, we hate to choose between things. Thankfully, packrafts keep us from having to! We think you just can't beat the mix of hiking, climbing, camping and paddling that these little boats make possible. You get to experience the land in so many different ways, hiking through forests, up glacier carved valleys or over mountains; paddling across lakes, down rivers or
Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had been hiking in Australia and New Zealand for a week, and I thought it would be fun to mix it up a bit and I am so glad we did.

First let me put out there that neither of us had ever done anything like this before (short of paddling a canoe, and we would be hard pressed to be considered experts at that.)

Although you hike in carrying your boat, paddles, wetsuit, and whatever other gear you need, the pack felt lighter than what I normally carry when I hike, and Andy was an incredible teacher, from start to finish. He had us in the water paddling around, in the blink of an eye.

The trip down river was gorgeous, and the views from the lake were spectacular. We had a blast. Highly recommended!

Packraftingnz, Owner at Packrafting New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for the review and good to hear Andy is onto it :-).

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"river"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 27 April 2017

My partner and I did the Raft & Ramble excursion which starts roughly midway through the Waiau River (which features an iconic film location for all you LOTR fans out there) and ended up in the North-Eastern side of the Manapouri river.
The views are incredible and there is a mix of light rapids for the thrill-seeker and still waters to soak up the views as you drift along.
Arno is a fantastic guide and really knows his stuff when it comes to the Fjordlands and his passionate packrafting! He's always on the lookout and is very keen to make your adventure really feel adventurous!
If you get a choice of packraft when starting I'd highly recommend Lisa, she took me safely all the way and is a sturdy lass, my partner had Tildy who is quite a rapid lady for all those speedsters out there.
All in all an incredible experience and adventure, so much so that we will be back again soon!
Arno, thank you again for such an incredible time!

1  Thank Kaden F
Reviewed 17 April 2017

Arno and Andy took great care of all of us ranging in age from 10 to 50. The entire group enjoyed themselves - thanks for a wonderful day on the river. It was a fun introduction to pack rafting - by the end we were all imagining ourselves on the 6 day hiking/packrafting trip.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

I did the 6 day Hollyford / Pyke loop pack rafting trip with my Sister and her Husband. This loop is ideal for pack rafting with a very good mix of rafting and hiking. The scenery was absolutely astounding, from glacier clad mountains to pristine rivers and lakes. It requires a good level of fitness, but I found the challenge just made it that much more rewarding.

I find it all too easy to get caught up in day to day life and this trip turned out to be much more than just a get-away. Without a phone or a watch and carrying everything we needed to live in our rafts / on our backs, I felt completely liberated for 6 days. I was able to truly live in the moment, a freeness that is all too rare in our fast paced world. Lying back in a pack raft, drifting across a lake, one hand skimming the water, while watching the night sky perform its cosmic dance above us was unforgettable. And that was just one of the many amazing experiences I had on this trip.

Our guides, Arno and Andy, were a great team and made the trip safe and enjoyable. These guys know the outdoors and their love of it made everything that much more exciting. They are both great teachers, so I finished the trip with not just many great experiences, but also a number of new skills and an expanded understanding of my own capabilities.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2017

My brother, husband, and I did a 6 day trip with Andy and Arno and we all agreed it was the best part of our trip! The 6 day trip takes you out on the Hollyford/Pyke Loop where you will see some absolutely stunning scenery completely secluded from the rest of civilization. While the trip was certainly hard work (not for the faint of heart!) it was worth every second.

Arno and Andy made for a fantastic duo keeping us thoroughly entertained. So many great stories over delicious backpacker meals. They were both incredibly knowledgable and clearly passionate about what they do. I'd recommend pack rafting to anyone ready for a little challenge and a desire to see New Zealand in the purest form. I'd do this trip again in a heartbeat!

1  Thank Andrea N
Packraftingnz, Owner at Packrafting New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2017

Thanks for the review guys! It has been an awesome trip and we can't wait to do it again. If you ever come back down this way let us know. Arno & Andy