Ulva Island Explorer from Stewart Island

Book in advance
from
$119.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience RealNZ
from $119.00
from $229.00
from $50.00
1,251 results
All reviews doubtful sound across lake manapouri wilmot pass informative commentary bus driver day trip ulva island bird life crew crossing bluff milford cruise boats terminal scenery fjord
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 February 2019

I must admit I was a bit hesitant at first, as I knew that we’d be going to a location later in our trip that had glowworms on site. The boat ride over to the cave included a commentary that seemed to be like “going through the motions”. Visiting the actual Glowworm cave in Te Anau, however, exceeded my expectations. I found it most interesting to be educated about the glowworms and to experience the phenomenon of seeing the caves “light up” with these creatures. I found even their “fishing lines” to be beautiful. Equally fascinating was the experience of being inside that mountain, complete in all these rock formations and waterfalls. Real Journeys has adapted a “ride” created by Mother Nature that is more amazing that anything at Disney!

1  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed 24 February 2019 via mobile

We booked return on the ferry for our holiday and we were pretty impressed going over(in spite of swell maps on google looking pretty bad) and the strait was pretty flat.

Coming back today was windier but the captain and boat performed very well. Imagine our horror though when we realized that they had left our luggage in the bin on the island. We put it where we were told so it was definitely their fault. Lucky for them we were stopping in Invercargill over night so it caught up with us5 hours later!

Date of experience: February 2019
Real_Journeys, Guest Relations Manager at RealNZ, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2019

Hilary51, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that your luggage missed your return ferry to Bluff. We sincerely apologise. We will be looking at our procedures, how this happened and ensure that it won’t occur again. We will follow up with the Stewart Island team as we take all feedback seriously. We hope that you still have good memories of Stewart Island from your trip. The Stewart Island Experience team

Reviewed 22 February 2019

The girls at the check-in desk at Bluff we rather friendly as were the crew on the ferry. While travelling to the Island, the skipper pointed out some birds and also that we could see the island in the horizon despite the clouds. The ride itself was rather choppy we went up and down lots but that was all part of the fun!

Reviewed 22 February 2019

The other day I went on a guided walk up to Ackers point with Robyn as our guide. Along the way, Robyn pointed out different trees and explained how they had been used by the Maori people back several years ago and also shared how even she uses these plants for several things. I was surprised that there is a certain type of seaweed that she even uses as a substitute for pasta! Robyn also pointed out different birds and their call and was very knowledgable about everything we encountered.

Reviewed 22 February 2019

The introduction at the beginning before we set off was very well done by Johnny and he clearly knew what he was talking about, even adding in extra little stories along the way that related to what he was talking about. I even had a toy kiwi with me and he told me straight off that it was a female because it had a curved beak. We went to look for yellow-eyed penguins and there were binoculars available to use which was very good as I didn't bring my own. For the actual walk, I was in Johnny's group and he stopped often if he thought he heard even the faintest noise of a kiwi. On the beach he showed us the food that kiwi feed on and even pointed out kiwi tracks that I never would've even noticed myself. He even touched what looked like kiwi poo to see how fresh it is and that's dedication! He was also able to tell how old a hole in the ground made by a kiwi's beak was. By the end of the night, all we'd found was a possum standing in the middle of the path and the back of a kiwi before it quickly disappeared into the bush which was a little disappointing. What was impressive was that just by this small glance, Johnny was able to identify the kiwi as being a male adult that's not quite fully grown yet. All through the tour Johnny and Robyn effectively communicated to each other and they make a very good team.

I tried again the next night with Johnny and Robyn again but with a smaller group this time. Because of the smaller group, we went with Robyn while Johnny went up ahead to look for signs of kiwi. Thankfully this time we were able to get more than just a tiny glance, but a proper long look at one! Johnny identified it as being a 1-2 year old male that is in some way related to the kiwi we previously saw the night before, whether it be a brother or a son.

Awesome experience and I hugely appreciate not only the effort that Johnny and Robyn put into the tour and how well they work together but also our skipper Miriam who safely got us there and back both nights.

Date of experience: February 2019
Real_Journeys, Guest Relations Manager at RealNZ, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2019

luckyme2332, Having time to go back a second night to try and see the elusive kiwi was well planned. I will pass on your comprehensive review and kind words to the team (Johnny, Robyn and Miriam). Your review will make good reading fol for other travellers too. Thank you for taking the time to upload a post. The Stewart Island Experience team.