Village & Bays Tours - Stewart Island Experience
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews great tour informative commentary our tour guide extensive local knowledge national park hour tour kylie stops oban history island acquainted maori information overview insight parts
Reviewed 18 February 2016

Day trippers to this charming and very attractive island realistically only have time to explore Oban village and several sandy bays within walking distance of the ferry terminal. The more active visitors who have done their research can easily do this free of charge in a few hours on foot. Others might be able to hire one of the very limited number of hire cars available (I tried to book one by email but was ignored). The third alternative is this minibus tour at a cost of 45 NZD each for about 100 minutes. As well as views of the scenery at 30kph a couple of camera stops are included as is an informative commentary. However, for me two stops in total were not enough to properly take in the beauty of the place and I found myself walking the route anyway after the tour to get the camera shots I wanted. Good value for the infirm perhaps but not for me.

Reviewed 10 February 2016

We travelled to Stewart Island on a bitterly cold windy summers day so were very pleased we had booked a tour to get us out of the weather for a while. The bus tour was 1 1/2hrs long with several stops at places of interest with time allowed for photos. We had a very good local guide who gave us lots of interesting facts about the island, it's history and the lifestyle there. If you have limited time to explore the Island I highly recommend you do this tour because you will see stunning scenery from the high hills without having to climb them and get information you might not learn otherwise.

Reviewed 28 January 2016

Ok there is only 27Km of Road on Stewart Island and over 300km of walking tracks,
As we didn’t have a car and to hire a car for a day was $80, so we did this Tour.
We booked it at the Red shed and because we have arrived but the Ferry we got 20% discount,
Thanks you Real Journeys
Our guide was fantastic, got the History and also an inside into Island life.
Worth doing at the beginning of your stay here, would have save me walking up some many hills to see the views

Reviewed 9 January 2016 via mobile

A really inexpensive way to learn about Stewart Island. The knowledge of the local guide is exceptional and you will learn a lot.

Reviewed 5 January 2016

We did a bus tour around Stewart Island and our guide was excellent! He gave us so much interesting information about the area and the history of the island. I took two young children on this tour and it was a great length for them with stops at interesting places so they didn't get bored. This guide loves his job!!