Stewart Island Ferry - Stewart Island Experience
Review Highlights
Rough weather, but safe & seamless transfer

We used the Stewart Island ferry on our way from Oban back to Bluff and onward to Invercargill by... read more

Reviewed 1 May 2021
greg_wanders
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Perfect crossing twice

I guess we were very lucky with the weather. The only thing I think is stupid is that you have to... read more

Reviewed 27 April 2021
mariannah378
Katikati, New Zealand

Recommended experiences in and around Stewart Island
from US$72.23
from US$35.75
from US$145.20
More Info
All reviews foveaux strait both ways sea sickness rough seas sick bags return trip free tea and coffee sea legs hour crossing rough ride efficient service before departure great trip blue cod blue penguins bluff crew
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 February 2018

Lucky with the weather, all went to plan. Observed limited shelter if it did happen to be raining. Staff friendly .

Date of experience: January 2018
Real_Journeys, Guest Relations Manager at Stewart Island Ferry - Stewart Island Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Hi there and thanks for the review. We hope you enjoyed your trip to Stewart Island.
Regards, the SIE team.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

I have to say that I was a little nervous about this trip. We were lucky and enjoyed good weather both ways - but I figured - if it was bad - it's only an hour. It's clear the staff know what they are doing and they do their best to make this trip as comfortable as possible. If you get a good day like we did - the views are incredible. Do it...it's the cheapest way t get to Stewart Island - plus you can take more than 15kg!

Date of experience: January 2018

Hi there, thanks for the review. We're thrilled to see how excited you were to complete your trip when you were so nervous and to read how highly you rate our crew. We will be sure to pass your kind words onto the team.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Exceptional staff, friendly efficient service. Great bus and ferry service from Invercargill to Stewart Island.
Clean facilities.

Date of experience: February 2018

Kia Ora and thanks for the amazing review.

Reviewed 3 February 2018

Beacuse I suffer VERY badly from motion sickness, I was supposed to fly across but there was too much cloud cover. Only choice was the ferry and the staff were great. I sat at the back of the ferry and a staff member brought me a cold cloth for my neck. He popped his head out every 15 mins or so to check on me.
The trip wasn't terribly rough so I was fine & the scenery was wonderful

Date of experience: January 2018
Real_Journeys, Guest Relations Manager at Stewart Island Ferry - Stewart Island Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Kia Ora Deb, thanks so much for taking the time to post this feedback. We are delighted you made the trip even though you suffer from motion sickeness. Stewart Island is a real gem and often missed by visitors to the south of New Zealand. We'll be sure to pass your kind words onto the team here. We trust you had a wonderful time on the island once you got here.
Kind regards, the team at Stewart Island Experience.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

We were lucky enough to have smooth sailing both ways prefect weather. I took some sea sick pills just incase. We booked a return ticket for the same day 9.45am leaving bluff 5pm return but we finished our walks and stuff early and enquired if we could swap our return for 3.30pm with was no problem. Thanks guys. Great service.

Date of experience: February 2018

Kia Ora and thanks for the review. We're delighted to receive this five star rating!
Kind regards, the team at Stewart Island Experience.