Stewart Island Ferry - Stewart Island Experience
Review Highlights
Rough weather, but safe & seamless transfer

We used the Stewart Island ferry on our way from Oban back to Bluff and onward to Invercargill by... read more

Reviewed 1 May 2021
greg_wanders
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Perfect crossing twice

I guess we were very lucky with the weather. The only thing I think is stupid is that you have to... read more

Reviewed 27 April 2021
mariannah378
Katikati, New Zealand

Recommended experiences in and around Stewart Island
from US$72.23
from US$35.75
from US$145.20
More Info
All reviews foveaux strait both ways sea sickness rough seas sick bags return trip free tea and coffee sea legs hour crossing rough ride efficient service before departure great trip blue cod blue penguins bluff crew
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

A great fast efficient service . Well organised and would highly recommend . Luggage is put in a numbered bin . Note your number for quicker departure

Date of experience: December 2017
Real_Journeys, Guest Relations Manager at Stewart Island Ferry - Stewart Island Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star review. We are very happy to hear you had a lovely experience and thanks for sharing your luggage tip. We look forward to welcoming you back on board for another trip to Stewart Island.
Kind Regards - The Team at Stewart Island Experience

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

The crew from check in to on board were all really friendly and helpful. The ferry was comfortable and had everything you need for the 1 hour crossing. Complimentary tea and coffee as well if you are so inclined.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

Both our journeys to and from stewart island is on time. We had excellent conditions, calm waters way out to stewart island but the journey back was quite rough. It was still quite good to experience the choppy water.

Date of experience: December 2017

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Yes, it can be a little choppy at times, but we are glad you had a good experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on board for another trip to Stewart Island.
Kind Regards - The Team at Stewart Island Experience

Reviewed 1 January 2018

Overall, the trip over and back were great and it was only shortly after departure from Bluff that the ocean got a bit wavy and the boat was rocking enough to make your stomach feel uneasy. However, shortly afterwards, things leveled out and I felt good enough to go outside onto the back of the boat and enjoy the outside air.
Before you knew it, you could see the northeastern coasts of Rakiura and by the 1 hour mark, we were already pulling into the harbor at the island.

Going back to Bluff, it was way smoother and the weather also way more clear than going out, and the scenes along the coastline and other islands were beautiful against the blue skies.

If you're planning on visiting Stewart Island, I think the ferry is probably the best way to go and surely very popular as there were always a bunch of people getting on and off of both locations during my 2 trips.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Most of our large group of older women opted to fly to Stewart Island but three of us more comfortable on boats decided to try the ferry and see what Foveaux Strait was really like.
It was,a fantastic to experience the meeting of three big bodies of water - the Tasman, the Pacific and the Southern Ocean. There was a very big swell and 35 knots of wind so it made for a wild ride. I was certainly out of my comfort zone so held on tight and followed the crew's instructions. The captain seemed to interpret every wave to make the boat,as stable and comfortable as possible and the two young women were outstanding in the way they cared for the motion sick passengers. I have been on some very rough Interislander trips and these Foveaux seas seemed ginormous to me but I felt very safe.
Coming back the weather was more settled and the trip very pleasant. As we got close to Bluff harbour we noticed the swirling tides and wild waters. I will never complain about the price of Bluff oysters again. These Southern seamen and women are highly skilled so give it a go. One of the most exciting and edgy experiences I have ever had.

1  Thank DenzieK