Stewart Island Ferry - Stewart Island Experience
Review Highlights
Cruise & Ulva Island

Well, we’d like to thank Jon from this team, for being fantastic when we found ourselves in a... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Agapantha56
Greymouth, New Zealand
Good but pricey

The cost of transport is a bit steep. $79 per person each way. It's a catamaran and is a bit... read more

Reviewed 25 February 2021

from US$72.84
from US$36.05
from US$146.41
More Info
All reviews foveaux strait both ways sea sickness rough seas sick bags return trip free tea and coffee sea legs hour crossing rough ride efficient service before departure great trip blue cod blue penguins bluff crew
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 November 2016

Guess we were lucky as it was smooth sailing both ways. Quite a big boat with double hulls with reasonably comfortable seating. Boat wasnt crowded so no issues with seating. On the way out we had a young chat as pilot he was excellent and very informative along the way.

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed 6 November 2016

The trip from Bluff to Stewart Island was a treat, the swells made it all the more entertaining and the staff was super friendly and helpful. Thanks again!

Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

The process of booking and getting on board could not have been simpler or more convenient. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The large catamaran copes well with the swells on Foveaux Strait. The day we travelled the seas were about average (so the crew said). I don't enjoy the inevitable bumps and rolls on such a crossing, but by focusing on the horizon I tolerated the journey adequately. Most other passengers didn't seem at all perturbed. For a landlubber like me, some queasiness is just part of the price for visiting Stewart Island!

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed 1 November 2016

It only takes one hour. It's good to see the wetlands that make up such a large part of the south of Bluff.

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

We had a great experience with these guys!

I'll admit the price is a bit on the expensive side, but all things considered it's a reasonable price for the service that is offered, given the available options and the magical experience on the other side of Foveaux Straight.

The operators give a brief explanation of landmarks as you go by, and we're more than happy to answer the questions I had (given my upbringing in conservationalist household, I had many!)

It was a bit choppy, and that's to be expected. Sorry guys, but don't complain, they do their best considering that Foveaux Straight is tricky to navigate at times, and gets pretty rough. There's a huge amount of water moving through, as there are three bodies of water that meet here. If you do get sea sick, obviously traveling by sea might be a bit stupid.... So it was a bit disappointing reading some other reviews about the conditions. Sorry but I'm just being honest.

Now that being said I did loose my breakfast. This was not due to sea sickness, and was self implemented after enjoying the Queenstown night life the night before, a little too much. The staff are well prepared for this situation and as it appears it can creep up without you expecting it. There's discretion where possible and I was assisted in a very caring way. Speaking from experiance, if it does happen just chill out and don't worry about it, it's not the end of the world I discovered and a hot shower awaits on the other side at your accommodation.

The service was spot on and very professional. Considering the cargo that is moved to and fro between Bluff and Stewart Island, we departed and arrived in an extremely well managed and thoughtful way. My partner and I booked the ferry and accommodation seperatly, one each and under different last names of course. The team were thoughtful enough to think that it didn't quite look right, so we got a coutesy call making sure everything was ok. Talk about attention to detail! Awesome work guys we can't wait to see you again!