“Satisfactory but nothing to shout about”

Finz Seafood and Grill Queenstown
Ranked #36 of 265 Restaurants in Queenstown
Price range: US$26 - US$52
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Finz Seafood & Grill has a great location right on the waterfront in the upmarket Steamer Wharf Dining precinct in Queenstown where you can watch the TSS Earnslaw Steamship head off on her cruises and keep an eye on people strolling along the Wharf. Whilst specializing in seafood, Finz will also tempt you with cuts of Prime New Zealand Beef and Southland Lamb. All ingredients used to create these tasty seasonal dishes are selected by the Chef Owners from the wonderful array of premium produce on Queenstown’s doorstep. Finz has been a popular choice with Queenstown diners for over 13 years and offers a unique dining experience right on the lakeside.
Reviewed 17 April 2019 via mobile

My partner and I simply love salt and pepper squid so we'll almost always order that as our starter if it's on the menu.

Finz' salt and pepper squid was good. The squid was fresh and lightly seasoned, though (in my opinion) the coating was slightly gummy in texture.

For my main, I ordered the Whole Baked Southern Sole, which is a seawater flounder variety. I really liked the lemony oil seasoning with capers, as it paired really well with the white fish! However, it would pose a slight challenge to consume if you have no idea how to debone a fish, since it's an entire fish with the head and tail included. It wasn't overcooked and tasted fresh to me, so I was pleased with my order. Also, it was 29.50NZD which is a more economical option. You can add on sides at 8NZD.

My partner ordered the Prawn and Clam spaghetti. We found the spaghetti quite disappointing (it was really really average) though the prawns and clams were succulent and fresh. For 29.50, we're not sure if it's worth it but they did give a good portion of prawns and clams.

Service was good and the waiter who served us was attentive and polite.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience but we are more inclined to try other places than to return.

Date of visit: April 2019
Write a reviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed 15 April 2019

Nice location on the wharf in Queenstown. The staff was friendly and service was good. The food however was just okay. Nothing wrong but nothing special. We had the fish and chips. The reason we chose to eat at this restaurant is we had not made any reservations at other higher rated restaurants so this was one of the only places we could find a table. My recommendation would be to try to make reservations somewhere else if you can.

Reviewed 14 April 2019 via mobile

For the best seafood in town our Concierge recommended this one on the Wharf, a touristy mall chock full of cafes and restaurants. Finz is a smallish, efficient space with a competent kitchen and professional service. We enjoyed our dinner here and highly recommend it for a special evening.

Reviewed 13 April 2019 via mobile

Booked via first table and received 50% discount for an early table. Worth it! Excellent lamb rack. Good but smallish NZ crayfish main.Good level of service. Check out this great offer!!

1  Thank 362nigeli
Reviewed 11 April 2019

Very nice atmosphere, good service and delicious food. We had a table for 10 and everyone was pleased with dinner!