“Salty, Westernized 'Asian Food'”
Review of Madam Woo

Madam Woo
Ranked #75 of 265 Restaurants in Queenstown
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Madam Woo serves up Malaysian inspired hawker food in a fresh and fun setting. The menu is designed to be shared and draws from many of the chef's authentic family recipes to create big, vibrant flavours. The signature dishes embody the Woo ethos of big flavours and include Beef Rendang with Nasi Lemak, and the famous Madam Woo Hawker rolls, which have generated a cult-like following. The 'Woo Crew' are energetic, knowledgeable and friendly, happy to offer suggestions from the menu and guide guests through their ordering choices.
Reviewed 19 July 2016

I've lived in HK for 20 years so I know Asian food... and this restaurant does not qualify.

Everything we had - and I mean across the board - was overly salty --- ribs are supposed to be double cooked (so meant to be tender) - they were incredibly dry and tough - I suspect they were left over from the dinner menu the night before ...

I won't bother to spend any more time on this --- I think you get the message.

Skip this restaurant

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (1,685)

Reviewed 18 July 2016

No reservations policy (other than large groups) makes it a pain to get a table - but to be fair on our second attempt they made a real effort to squeeze us in in - even if it was a rushed meal to free up the table ahead of a large booking. That is OK - they were clear on the requirement and made sure service was prompt accordingly (and friendly as well)
Food was very good. Only slight reservation - the rendang was a bit heavy - but on a winters night in Queenstown that is no sin

1  Thank SydneyFlash
Reviewed 17 July 2016

Despite the forty minute wait for a table, I had an amazing time at Madam Woo! The food was delicious and just what I felt like. My favourite dish would definitely be the beef rendang because it was quite spicy, super tender and very tasty. I was begging for more of it when I found I had finished the bowl! It had a busy but warm vibe and is a lot different to the Auckland restaurant because it was not as modern but more cozy. This has become my new favourite restaurant and I hope to return as soon as possible.

1  Thank Macyxx
Reviewed 14 July 2016

Fortunately we lucked out and managed to get a table after being told it was going to be a 45 minute wait. That's how popular this place is. We loved the order and share menu on offer and tried several things all of which were delicious.

Reviewed 14 July 2016

Warm, inviting atmosphere with good, fresh food. We asked the waitress for assistance in selecting items as it is a good way to try new dishes, which was a mistake as we asked for mild dishes and what turned up was too hot, we also ordered far too much food, this was disappointing as not only did we unnecessarily spend too much, it was a lot of wasted food. The food we did get was lovely, I do enjoy spicy food, but on this night hadn't really felt like it, but ended up with it anyway! The Hawker rolls weren't hot and they were lovely, I would go back just for this dish!

Date of visit: June 2016