“Super Guide” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stu's Fly Shop

Stu's Fly Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Stu's World Famous Fishing Shop is the only physical fly shop in New Zealand. Do you want to go fishing with Stu? He is Australasia's first Certified FFF Master Fly Casting Instructor and owner of the NZ Fly Fishing School. Visit one of 30 lakes and rivers, all within an hour's drive of the shop. We can arrange: Backcountry Fly Fishing Road Trips, where you stay in an historic cottage or camp out. Helicopter Guiding and water taxis for an unforgettable experience One or multiple-day NZ Fly Fishing Schools: learn the basics about equipment, trout and their feeding habits, trout entomology (food), trout flies, tackle, equipment, leaders and their construction, basic knots and casting. Been fly-fishing for years, but getting too many tangles? Or just want to get better? Learn how to double haul for distance, reach cast and wiggle cast. Get ahead of the game with some professional advice from Stu! We have a range of multi-day guiding packages, road trips and camping out options, which can depart from Queenstown.
4 attraction reviews
“Super Guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Fly fishing in New Zealand is a whole lot tougher than it is at home. To succeed, you need to learn from a good guide. Stu is the best. He puts you on fish and teaches the skills required to bring them to hand. He does so with skill, patience and humor. This was unquestionably the high point of my time in NZ.

StusFlyShop, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you Peter for your honest feedback. It was a pleasure being on the water with you.
All the best with your guiding back home.
Stu

Melbourne, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“The master.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Four 60 year old fly fishermen decided to swap from their annual Tasmanian fishing week, to Southland in New Zealand.
We engaged Stu for two days to show us how to catch the local monsters.
Well that is exactly what he did.
We had a ball. We tightened up our casting, learnt the effects of drift on flies, presentation and so much more.
Caught good fish on willow grubs, singly the smallest fly I have ever used. Stus personality endears him to all his clients.
We are planning a return trip next year, so Stu, put aside some time!

StusFlyShop, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hey guys i thought you were in your late twenties, and not 60 + !!
It was great to bring you guys up to speed with your casting and skills to fool plenty NZ trout, especially with the small Banana willow grub fly.
It will be a pleasure to guide you all again when you return ,hopefully next year.
Have fun out there guys.
Stu
Tarbes, France
“A paradise ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

A paradise and a must for fly fisherman !!!
This shop it's just beautiful and fantastic !!!
Thanks Stu for your potatoes sandwich Scottish and thank's Thomas for your advices and for the line that you sold me !!!
See you later
Jeremy and Laurianne

Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 21 February 2017
hey,
Thank you for your kind words!
Hope to see you again soon and enjoy your trip
Lyon, France
“Such a good fly shop !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2017

I found in that rocking shop a lot of equipment and deadly flies while little monster dog Trigger was welcoming me.
Thomas gave me good advice to fish the Mataura and other rivers.
I then booked Stu for a NZ Fly Fishing School session. And it was an awesome and priceless experience ! Great knowledge, philosophy and tips. Thanks again Stu !
My casting was really really better the next day applying what I've learnt. A real pleasure to cast the good way and catch more fish.
If you're in Queenstown and around you need to go there. It will be a valuable adventure.
I hope to go there again !

Visited December 2016
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 20 January 2017
Hey Alex,
We hope to see you again too in Athol.
Have some good days on your french rivers.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2017 via mobile

My family and I had heard great things about this store and my fiancé and I hH been once before and had a wonderful experience however though this time we had the worst customer service ever, as soon as we enter the store No-one greated us instead the chap in store just chatted to his buddy and when we tried to get any sort of advice we just got attitude and made to feel incompetent. Very disappointed.

Visited January 2017
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 17 January 2017
Hello Nicole,
Thomas here,
First thank you for your review.
I would like to say sorry about your day visiting the shop.
Sorry to felt you incompetent, it was not on my way as I try to help and give the best advice to anybody.
I hope you to see you again in the shop to have a better relation that this shop need to have.
Have a good day