“A paradise ”
Review of Stu's Fly Shop

Stu's Fly Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Stu's World Famous Fishing Shop is the only physical fly shop in New Zealand. Do you want to go fishing with Stu? He is Australasia's first Certified FFF Master Fly Casting Instructor and owner of the NZ Fly Fishing School. Visit one of 30 lakes and rivers, all within an hour's drive of the shop. We can arrange: Backcountry Fly Fishing Road Trips, where you stay in an historic cottage or camp out. Helicopter Guiding and water taxis for an unforgettable experience One or multiple-day NZ Fly Fishing Schools: learn the basics about equipment, trout and their feeding habits, trout entomology (food), trout flies, tackle, equipment, leaders and their construction, basic knots and casting. Been fly-fishing for years, but getting too many tangles? Or just want to get better? Learn how to double haul for distance, reach cast and wiggle cast. Get ahead of the game with some professional advice from Stu! We have a range of multi-day guiding packages, road trips and camping out options, which can depart from Queenstown.
Tarbes, France
“A paradise ”
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

A paradise and a must for fly fisherman !!!
This shop it's just beautiful and fantastic !!!
Thanks Stu for your potatoes sandwich Scottish and thank's Thomas for your advices and for the line that you sold me !!!
See you later
Jeremy and Laurianne

Visited February 2017
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 21 February 2017
hey,
Thank you for your kind words!
Hope to see you again soon and enjoy your trip

Lyon, France
“Such a good fly shop !”
Reviewed 19 January 2017

I found in that rocking shop a lot of equipment and deadly flies while little monster dog Trigger was welcoming me.
Thomas gave me good advice to fish the Mataura and other rivers.
I then booked Stu for a NZ Fly Fishing School session. And it was an awesome and priceless experience ! Great knowledge, philosophy and tips. Thanks again Stu !
My casting was really really better the next day applying what I've learnt. A real pleasure to cast the good way and catch more fish.
If you're in Queenstown and around you need to go there. It will be a valuable adventure.
I hope to go there again !

Visited December 2016
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 20 January 2017
Hey Alex,
We hope to see you again too in Athol.
Have some good days on your french rivers.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 13 January 2017 via mobile

My family and I had heard great things about this store and my fiancé and I hH been once before and had a wonderful experience however though this time we had the worst customer service ever, as soon as we enter the store No-one greated us instead the chap in store just chatted to his buddy and when we tried to get any sort of advice we just got attitude and made to feel incompetent. Very disappointed.

Visited January 2017
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 17 January 2017
Hello Nicole,
Thomas here,
First thank you for your review.
I would like to say sorry about your day visiting the shop.
Sorry to felt you incompetent, it was not on my way as I try to help and give the best advice to anybody.
I hope you to see you again in the shop to have a better relation that this shop need to have.
Have a good day
Sorry again
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Unexpected Gem of a shop!”
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Must see for anyone even vaguely interested in fishing! Blow-your-mind kind of shop. Excellent advice and information about local fishing.

Visited December 2016
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 6 January 2017
Hi,
Thank you very much for your kind words.
I hope you had a lot of fun fishing these beautiful rivers of NZ
Hope to see you again
Thomas manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A perfect day with Stu”
Reviewed 30 November 2016

A day on the Mataura River should never occur without the presence of Stu from world famous Stu's Fly Shop. My wife and I were fortunate enough to claim Stu for the day whereupon we caught 4 lb. brown trout, learned more than we would have anticipated from his teaching skills and were guided into the best fishing in New Zealand. Most of all is Stu...a teacher, tactician and incredible host. Don't miss the opportunity of a lifetime...fish with Stu!

Visited November 2016
StusFlyShop, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 4 December 2016
Thank you both so much for your awesome review. It was fun and a pleasure to help you both for the day and show you some of what NZ has to offer.
May you return to theses shores soon for more fun,learning and excitement.
Stu