“Unexpected Gem of a shop!”
Review of Stu's Fly Shop

Stu's Fly Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Stu's World Famous Fishing Shop is the only physical fly shop in New Zealand. Do you want to go fishing with Stu? He is Australasia's first Certified FFF Master Fly Casting Instructor and owner of the NZ Fly Fishing School. Visit one of 30 lakes and rivers, all within an hour's drive of the shop. We can arrange: Backcountry Fly Fishing Road Trips, where you stay in an historic cottage or camp out. Helicopter Guiding and water taxis for an unforgettable experience One or multiple-day NZ Fly Fishing Schools: learn the basics about equipment, trout and their feeding habits, trout entomology (food), trout flies, tackle, equipment, leaders and their construction, basic knots and casting. Been fly-fishing for years, but getting too many tangles? Or just want to get better? Learn how to double haul for distance, reach cast and wiggle cast. Get ahead of the game with some professional advice from Stu! We have a range of multi-day guiding packages, road trips and camping out options, which can depart from Queenstown.
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Unexpected Gem of a shop!”
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Must see for anyone even vaguely interested in fishing! Blow-your-mind kind of shop. Excellent advice and information about local fishing.

Visited December 2016
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 6 January 2017
Hi,
Thank you very much for your kind words.
I hope you had a lot of fun fishing these beautiful rivers of NZ
Hope to see you again
Thomas manager

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A perfect day with Stu”
Reviewed 30 November 2016

A day on the Mataura River should never occur without the presence of Stu from world famous Stu's Fly Shop. My wife and I were fortunate enough to claim Stu for the day whereupon we caught 4 lb. brown trout, learned more than we would have anticipated from his teaching skills and were guided into the best fishing in New Zealand. Most of all is Stu...a teacher, tactician and incredible host. Don't miss the opportunity of a lifetime...fish with Stu!

Visited November 2016
StusFlyShop, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 4 December 2016
Thank you both so much for your awesome review. It was fun and a pleasure to help you both for the day and show you some of what NZ has to offer.
May you return to theses shores soon for more fun,learning and excitement.

Toronto, Canada
“Trout Fever on the Mataura”
Reviewed 29 November 2016

Let me start off by saying that I am only now coming down from the high that I experienced after a single days fishing with Stu. While on a honeymoon in New Zealand my wife was gracious enough to encourage me to take a days fly fishing in this world class country. I arrived with an understanding and expectation of the NZ trout being difficult and incredibly challenging and this was proven by my unguided attempts earlier in the trip. Stu was about to change all that.

Introductions aside, I set out with Stu to fish a section of the upper Mataura. I was hoping to at least have a fair chance at catching these tough trout as I had practiced casting accuracy a few nights prior and like to think I have a fair amount of experience fly fishing. The first take was quick and a slight delay in the hook set left me with nothing but slack line. The next opportunity I was a little quicker and with some careful instruction from Stu, I was able to put a fair number of fish in the net using Stu’s nymph patterns before lunch. The day could of ended here and I would have left a happy man. With Stu’s easy going demeanor, obvious passion and quick witted humour, I could have enjoyed the day without a single fish; however, this was not to be the case.

With my lunch devoured I couldn’t wait to get fishing again. It was shortly after that something magical happened. A sporadic mayfly hatch occurred right on cue to Stu’s prediction and the trout began feeding on the surface. Trout after trout were seen in ankle deep water plucking the naturals off the top with barely a ripple in the surface to give away their presence. It was to be an afternoon that dreams are made of. Casting to these fish resulted in plenty of misses, refusals, a break off or two and more than a few glorious trout made it to the net. I believe I evolved as a fly fisherman that day as what has really stuck with me are is not the measurements or total numbers landed but the entire experience of fishing amongst beautiful scenary, great comradarie and being challenged and outsmarted by those wild Mataura trout. The adrenaline of sight fishing over large browns and then finally watching it rise to your fly only to refuse in the last moment is not for the faint hearted but is about as romantic as this sport can get.

Now, what Stu doesn’t tell you on his website is that he is an amazing photographer who captured my wonderful day with my camera while I was fixated on rising trout. I cannot thank you enough Stu – the photos and memories will last a lifetime although I know I will be back in NZ before then.

If you would like to see photos of my day with Stu check out @nkuchmak on instagram

Visited November 2016
StusFlyShop, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 4 December 2016
Hello Nick
Nick, Thank you for choosing me as you NZ fly fishing guide on your short visit to NZ with your wife.
Your great review i hope will make some others smile and want to head out with me .
It was also great to feel your passion for the sport and watch you cast , as your casting was very good and accurate.
So glad the day went as planned and that the net was wet many times.
Thank you also for all the kind words about your day out.
Keep having fun on the water and with your lovely wife.
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A day out with the best Fly Fishing Guide in the World”
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Every year, I travel across the ditch to fly fish for trout in Southland New Zealand. And every year I spend a day being guided by Stu Tripney. What Stu doesn't know about fly fishing, the local conditions and casting isn't worth knowing. I know its a bold statement, but if you are a fly angler at any level and want a great day out, then I couldn't recommend Stu more highly. He also designs and sells his own flies which work very very well. Many of my fishing friends have also spent time out on the water with Stu and all agree that he is very very good. I recommend him to any one wanting a great day out hunting large trout in the most beautiful countryside possible.

Visited February 2016
StusFlyShop, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 13 September 2016
Hello David
Great to hear you and some of the fly fishing club members are coming back again next year. Thank you so much for your honest and very helpful review.
I thank you for your valuable time in writing your review as well.
See you and all the other fly guys and girls in the shop in Feb.Lets hope the sun is out and cicadas ,willow grubs are on the surface.
obr2000
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Must stop and see”
Reviewed 27 February 2016

We where on our way to Dunedin and came through Athol, Athol is so small before you even noticed you are in Athol you already passed through. I ve been in a couple of small fly shops in the US and other place but STus has been one of the smallest but as they always size does not count. You will find whatever you need in STus shop. Even better it is normal priced not like other remote shops which are adding their remote surcharge and taking advantage of you. Visit the shop they have some cool stuff theirs. I heard that the owner is going sell the place, very sad news indeed. Therefore don't miss it before it is too late

Visited February 2016
StusFlyShop, Shop Assistant at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 4 May 2016
Thanks for the great review. We are glad the shop left such an impression on you.
The shop is now not being sold, Stu has new bigger ideas and goals for it !
Stu will always be offering NZ Fly Fishing Schools, Guided Trips and Casting Lessons.
We look forward to seeing you in the shop again.
Alex