“A day out with the best Fly Fishing Guide in the World”
Review of Stu's Fly Shop

Stu's Fly Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Stu's World Famous Fishing Shop is the only physical fly shop in New Zealand. Do you want to go fishing with Stu? He is Australasia's first Certified FFF Master Fly Casting Instructor and owner of the NZ Fly Fishing School. Visit one of 30 lakes and rivers, all within an hour's drive of the shop. We can arrange: Backcountry Fly Fishing Road Trips, where you stay in an historic cottage or camp out. Helicopter Guiding and water taxis for an unforgettable experience One or multiple-day NZ Fly Fishing Schools: learn the basics about equipment, trout and their feeding habits, trout entomology (food), trout flies, tackle, equipment, leaders and their construction, basic knots and casting. Been fly-fishing for years, but getting too many tangles? Or just want to get better? Learn how to double haul for distance, reach cast and wiggle cast. Get ahead of the game with some professional advice from Stu! We have a range of multi-day guiding packages, road trips and camping out options, which can depart from Queenstown.
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A day out with the best Fly Fishing Guide in the World”
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Every year, I travel across the ditch to fly fish for trout in Southland New Zealand. And every year I spend a day being guided by Stu Tripney. What Stu doesn't know about fly fishing, the local conditions and casting isn't worth knowing. I know its a bold statement, but if you are a fly angler at any level and want a great day out, then I couldn't recommend Stu more highly. He also designs and sells his own flies which work very very well. Many of my fishing friends have also spent time out on the water with Stu and all agree that he is very very good. I recommend him to any one wanting a great day out hunting large trout in the most beautiful countryside possible.

Visited February 2016
StusFlyShop, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 13 September 2016
Hello David
Great to hear you and some of the fly fishing club members are coming back again next year. Thank you so much for your honest and very helpful review.
I thank you for your valuable time in writing your review as well.
See you and all the other fly guys and girls in the shop in Feb.Lets hope the sun is out and cicadas ,willow grubs are on the surface.
Cheers
Stu

obr2000
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Must stop and see”
Reviewed 27 February 2016

We where on our way to Dunedin and came through Athol, Athol is so small before you even noticed you are in Athol you already passed through. I ve been in a couple of small fly shops in the US and other place but STus has been one of the smallest but as they always size does not count. You will find whatever you need in STus shop. Even better it is normal priced not like other remote shops which are adding their remote surcharge and taking advantage of you. Visit the shop they have some cool stuff theirs. I heard that the owner is going sell the place, very sad news indeed. Therefore don't miss it before it is too late

Visited February 2016
StusFlyShop, Shop Assistant at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 4 May 2016
Thanks for the great review. We are glad the shop left such an impression on you.
The shop is now not being sold, Stu has new bigger ideas and goals for it !
Stu will always be offering NZ Fly Fishing Schools, Guided Trips and Casting Lessons.
We look forward to seeing you in the shop again.
Alex
South Australia, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Most interesting store on our entire holiday.”
Reviewed 20 February 2016 via mobile

I am a fly fisherman from South Africa where I have met xpert fly fisherman and have been to a few very good fly shops but I must say that Stu's Fly shop has been my very best experiance. This store stocks absolutely every piece of equipment a fly fisherman's heart desires from a range of rods and reels to a galaxy of assorted Flys. I could spend an entire day in Stu's shop. Stu himself is a walking encyclopedia with the
Knowledge and skills of flu fishing that I have never witnessed in anyone before. Truly an amazing experiance at Stu's Fly shop.

Visited February 2016
Thanks for the great review. We are glad to hear the time you spent here was such good. We look forward to seeing you in the shop again.
Alex
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Casting Instruction”
Reviewed 28 January 2016

Travelling from Scotland for the last few years to fish in New Zealand I came to realise that fishing in NZ shows up all the faults in your casting technique that you may get away with back home. NZ is technical - the ever present wind, casting heavy nymphs to get down etc. I booked a half day casting instruction with Stu and it was an eye opener. Being self-taught and fly fished for 35 years I'd never been taught the mechanics of fly casting, never knew what my faults were until Stu pointed them out and never knew how to correct them. A few hours with Stu was a revelation. I fished the Mataura today after yesterday's lesson and there was a remarkable difference in my casting of heavy nymphs, my accuracy, and more importantly my hook-up rate - with that brought confidence - no more fear of casting heavy nymphs. For all you overseas fisherman thinking of coming to NZ, please, if you do one thing when you're here then I implore you to book a half days casting instruction with Stu - it will make your trip much more successful. Most people book guides like Stu and they will put you on fish, but if YOU can't make the cast then you will not catch them! Thanks Stu!

Visited January 2016
1 Thank DerekKilgour
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 30 January 2016
Thank you so much for the wonderful review, Derek. It was an absolute pleasure having you out. We look forward to having you swing by in the future and tackling those challenging brown trouts together.
Northallerton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Taken to a special fishing place, most enjoyable day; great guiding, interesting carefully thought out observations.”
Reviewed 27 January 2016

With some doubts of what to expect from an unorthodox and perhaps larger than life character, per his web persona, I booked a day with Stu. In hindsight I can only apologise for these doubting thoughts for I cannot praise Stu enough for the day we shared together, fishing a remote river in a very high hidden back country valley. Stu took a risk on my abilities and decided we should fish a special place and it was a place that will stay with me; the fish seen, missed and also caught will haunt me until I get back to NZ. The next time will be for more days and definitely will be a fishing trip rather than an odd day. Practice casting long leaders into the wind before travel and trust that Stu will make the day memorablet.
As an experienced fly angler, Having booked a day's guided fishing with Stu. I hadn't realised the risk was both ways for with one day and no previous references, the guide doesn't know your capability. Thankfully Stu took me to a challenging place, provided great company and sharing his observations and knowledge.

Visited January 2016
1 Thank nyorkstraveller2015
Stuart T, Manager at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, 30 January 2016
Thanks for the great review. Also, great advice to those swinging by here to catch some of the best trout on the planet. Practice those casts!