“Steak is the hero”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is a very popular venue for good reason. The food is high quality and served y very knowledgeable staff in a great atmosphere.

Book or drop in after 8.30 once the first bookings start leaving.

Date of visit: March 2019
Jervoissteakhouseqt, Manager at Jervois Steak House Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi 675rm,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are delighted to read that your dining experience went that well for all of you.

We are really looking for you to seeing you again next time.

JSH Queenstown

Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lovely food and great service.

Loved being able to see the meat selection before ordering, and having the waitress explain the various cuts and levels of marbling.

Hi ZoeU29,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

We are loving the fact that your dining experience at JSH Queenstown went that well and we are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I actually went here 2/2/17, but never posted my review and just found a paper with my reservation from that evening. I was in Queenstown for just 2 nights by myself. This restaurant was recommended by my hotel. It’s a nice restaurant in the downtown with beautiful views. The steak was fabulous (though I’m not a connoisseur) and the recommended wine pairing excellent. Service was also very good.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank travelgirlp2013

Hi travelgirlp2013,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

It is a real pleasure for us to see that your dining experience went so well.
We take pride on giving the best experience possible to you and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I dined here with hubby last week and neither of us had been here before but hubby has dined at JSH in Akld a couple of times in the past and loves it. I have been to what was in the JSH Qtn in the past but not relevant...it is in the Sofitel Complex and is very central. It was busy and very casual in terms of dress although smart casual wouldn't be out of place. Being a resort town with squillions of tourists I guess the dress code can be relaxed a bit. No-one was scruffy. Our service was nice enough if a bit rushed. They had an extensive and very good wine list but I would have loved to have seen more options by the glass. But seriously, it was an impressive wine list. For our meals:
Hubby had oysters (Waiheke Island) to start followed by a steak (the Firstlight Scotch) and both were amazing....the man knows his steak and his oysters so you can take this as gospel.
We shared these sides: (truffle mushrooms...great) (fries...great) (creamed spinach (not that great)
I had 2 starters: scallops and mushroom gnocchi and both were superb.
Dessert: I had the lemon cheesecake which was delicious and hubby had the most enormous creme brûlée we have ever seen and it was very nice.
The portions were all huge hence the title of this review. My rating of 4 is to do with rushed service, the menu not being entirely up to date (and deficiencies specific to our chosen date to dine there) and average decor/atmosphere + a most tantalising wine list (with coravin available to boot) from which I couldn't select anything by the glass which I was really enthused about.

Hi kristabel2016,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are happy to see that you enjoyed the food (but the spinach). However I am sorry to hear that you felt rushed as it is something we don't like to see. On another note I am surprised you couldn't find any wine by the glass that suits you as we have 43 different glass pours including Coravin with 16 different varietals. (That is 8 to 10 times more than most of Queenstown restaurant...)

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Was recommended to try this amazing restaurant and also saw a write up about it in Air New Zealand inflight magazine whilst flying from Auckland to Christchurch.
Be prepared to be amazed!!! Excellent service from the moment you arrive, right thru your dining experience, right until you pay the bill and leave. Our server, Vanessa, was outstanding! She guided us thru Part l, visually showing and explaining the different meats...Wagyu, New Zealand grass fed. She explained the differences in larding of the meat, how that would impact on the taste. No bias towards any dearer cuts, just an honest, informed description.
Once we had been tempted in Part l, we now had to play a part in Part ll, choosing our cut. We both chose a Wagyu ribeye cooked rare. Part lll soon followed, what sides did we want? Sauces? Side dishes of vegetables? A salad perhaps? That completed, we had to ask for a recommendation as to which Pinot Noir we should have to accompany the Main Act. Vanessa again showed great knowledge, asking for a guide price from us before suggesting one.
When our steaks arrived, they sat proudly atop a meat dagger. Honestly, you could have cut this perfectly cooked ribeye with a butter knife, it was that tender! The meat had been perfectly matured prior to cooking, so it was beautifully pink and firm.
An amazing experience!!!
Quality like this does not come cheap but it was worth every cent!!

Hi stevebt15,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

It is a real pleasure to see that you enjoyed your dinner at JSH Queenstown, we take pride in giving our guests the best experience possible, we are glad we succeeded again with you and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards