Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews one bedroom apartment the kitchen lake wakatipu bottom level walking track gas fireplace flights of stairs washer dryer self catering excellent accommodation in town short drive views units nz driveway furnishings
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 March 2023 via mobile

We were very satisfied with the unit and all it had to offer. The fireplace was nice to have in the evening when the temp dropped. We emailed them about a light flickering in the bathroom and they fixed it very quickly. We also requested a late check out which they were able to accommodate which helped as we were catching a flight that day. Our only complaint was parking. It was so challenging to drive down the very tight roadway to where we had to park and the parking spots were difficult to get into unless you got the middle spots. The view was very nice and we enjoyed walking on the path below which we walked into town one day which was about 25 minutes one way. Self check in was very easy.

Date of stay: March 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Nik Kiddle, Owner at Villa del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2023

Thanks very much for your lovely review.

Reviewed 25 March 2023

We recently stayed for a week in an one bedroom unit which is at the bottom of the complex and closest to Lake Wakatipu. The view was fantastic and easy access to a jetty and small beach at the front of the property. The walking track which led into Queenstown was directly below the property. It was a quiet location and no road noise. Check in instructions were clear.

The kitchen was well equipped and the unit had a washer/dryer. As noted by others, the apartment is not serviced during your stay but they did supply plenty of dishwasher, washing and bathroom needs. Yes there are lots of signs but obviously this is because people have not done the right thing. The heated floor in the bathroom kept that area lovely and warm and there was a gas fireplace in the lounge. The cleaning fee was annoying but we did save money by booking direct with the property and we were aware that it was charged.

The driveway and parking is not for the faint hearted - it is a quick turn off the main road. Due to the steep nature of the site there is a hairpin bend to access the bottom level parking. The carpark itself is a tight space. There were a few flights of stairs to our room which did not bother us at all but may be problematic for others.

Recommended.

Room tip: Take care in entering and exiting the property from the main road
Date of stay: February 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for your review. We really appreciate it.

Reviewed 1 March 2023

Stayed for an enjoyable week in a one bedroom corner unit. Can sympathise in relation to some previous rather negative comments, but do they really detract from the overall experience? Only marginally in my opinion and here follows why:

Value for money - booking direct offered reasonable value.
Location - out of town with great views of Lake Wakatipu, but exiting right by car needs a bit of a Hail Mary.
Unit access - there are sets of steps that you are warned about, but also an alternative sloping side access pathway if required. Easy keybox entry.
Servicing - reception was closed due to commonplace post-Covid staff shortages, but we did get a midweek call-in for towel changes etc.
Unit condition - floor to ceiling windows maximised the lake view and bathroom was recently renovated. Quite spacious overall.
House rules - there were a lot of notices, but have experienced worse and maybe they could have all been included in the resort info compendium instead of being posted throughout the unit.

In summary, a Trip Advisor 4-dot, very good.

Date of stay: February 2023

Hi and thanks for your review. We really appreciate it. Notices are a tricky one. We have tried without them and it'sa disaster. Very few people read the compendium. There are two notices in the kitchen. One asks guests to be careful not to set off the fire alarm. This is very important and seems to be the only way we can avoid fire alarms going off in all the apartments due to smoky cooking. The other is to ask guests to please take out their rubbish and put dishes in the dishwasher and lets them know where to find the rubbish bins. We also have a Tiaki Promise which is something Tourism New Zealand wants all business in New Zealand to have, to help encourage our guests to respect the place, the people and the environment while they are here.
Cheers

Reviewed 24 January 2023 via mobile

For the prices charged, I anticipated a premium experience which was not provided. I stayed 2 nights in a Lakeview corner suite. The views to the Remarkables are great, and the bathroom was modern and clean. However, I thought the rest of the apartment was a little tired in appearance, with some marks on the walls, a door latch completely absent in the bedroom door and furnishings which were a little meh, overall. In addition, I noticed on my first night that there was a stain on the kitchen floor and also a dark stain on the wall. I was able to remove both with a cloth and also had a very quick response from one of the property’s team the next morning after I flagged my concern, who offered to come in that day and clean the floor, which I really appreciated.

The property advertises that it has Smart TVs but I found that they would not connect to the internet. When I asked about this on my second day, I was initially told that they would stop by and resolve this connection issue but then a short while later received a message from a different person advising me that they did not connect at all and one needed an HDMI cable to connect to your own device to watch Netflix, Prime, etc. I have since found this is referenced on the facilities tab of their own website, but it was not listed on the individual apartment booking page, or on the booking site I used to make my reservation. So it is small print that is easy to miss, as Smart TVs by very definition implies that you can watch Apps directly on the TV without an HDMI connection to another device. Disappointing. I had also enquired about the advertised BOSE iPod docks and was told I was incorrect about seeing that on their website - so I sent a screenshot showing otherwise, and at this point also expressed that I was a little disappointed in these responses (both style and substance). I then received a link from the manager, Charlotte, to a Guardian article about how to be a good tourist, and with a paragraph quoted for my attention about “basic manners” and not being an “entitled traveller”.

Other minor niggles - i) the overall costs included a cleaning fee of 162 NZD and there is some clumsily worded info about how to ensure you remove and sort your rubbish down to the bins at the end of the property before departure, leave the property tidy and a warning that any exceptional cleaning may incur additional charges, ii) there are a lot of stairs and I would have struggled carrying my case up and down them (the alternative is a very steep road), iii) in the Lakeview corner apartment I stayed in, there is no way to see the tv from the sofa without the fireplace mantel obstructing your view; and iv) there is no place / offering to store your luggage once you have left apartment - I was however offered a late checkout of 11am which was better than nothing as my flight was late afternoon.

In summary, I have been travelling in NZ for 3 weeks and am familiar with, and sympathetic to, the staff shortage issue in hospitality. However, for the rates Villa Del Lago charge I believe you could find somewhere much friendlier in Queenstown which does not literally insult you for thinking that you might enjoy some premium features for their hefty price tag.

Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank _MissLulaMaeBarnes
Reviewed 4 December 2022 via mobile

We loved the view but for the price the unit seemed a bit dated. Quite a walk from town and many stairs both in and outside of the apartment. There are also many notices inside about how not to set off fire alarm and the fees you will incur if you do set it off including instructions about making sure to remove garbage (down several flights of stairs) that made us feel unwelcome. A rewording of these notices would probably go a long way

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stevengfarber
Nik Kiddle, Owner at Villa del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2023

Thanks for your review. We make it clear on all of our sites that there are stairs from the car parks to all of the one bedroom suites and there internal stairs in the 2 and 3 bedroom villas but flat access from the car parks. We are on a steep section which means everyone has wonderful views. We have tried lots of different wording for the fire alarm notice and find the only way to dramatically reduce the incidence of alarms being set off is to have a penalty charge. We would love it if humanity was a little more careful and we would not need such notices. We also hope that you understand that there is a global crisis in hospitality service and at Villa del Lago we are suffering from a terrible shortage of staff. It is for this reason that we ask guests to dispose of their rubbish. It's to help the work load of our small and overworked team. We really appreciate all of our visitors, but hope that in these difficult times, travelers come with, patience, tolerance and understanding.