Lowest prices for your stay
$435
$493
Get rewarded with One Key
Hotels.com
$492
Get rewarded with One Key
All reviews one bedroom apartment the kitchen lake wakatipu bottom level walking track gas fireplace flights of stairs washer dryer self catering excellent accommodation in town short drive views units nz driveway furnishings
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 January 2023 via mobile

For the prices charged, I anticipated a premium experience which was not provided. I stayed 2 nights in a Lakeview corner suite. The views to the Remarkables are great, and the bathroom was modern and clean. However, I thought the rest of the apartment was a little tired in appearance, with some marks on the walls, a door latch completely absent in the bedroom door and furnishings which were a little meh, overall. In addition, I noticed on my first night that there was a stain on the kitchen floor and also a dark stain on the wall. I was able to remove both with a cloth and also had a very quick response from one of the property’s team the next morning after I flagged my concern, who offered to come in that day and clean the floor, which I really appreciated.

The property advertises that it has Smart TVs but I found that they would not connect to the internet. When I asked about this on my second day, I was initially told that they would stop by and resolve this connection issue but then a short while later received a message from a different person advising me that they did not connect at all and one needed an HDMI cable to connect to your own device to watch Netflix, Prime, etc. I have since found this is referenced on the facilities tab of their own website, but it was not listed on the individual apartment booking page, or on the booking site I used to make my reservation. So it is small print that is easy to miss, as Smart TVs by very definition implies that you can watch Apps directly on the TV without an HDMI connection to another device. Disappointing. I had also enquired about the advertised BOSE iPod docks and was told I was incorrect about seeing that on their website - so I sent a screenshot showing otherwise, and at this point also expressed that I was a little disappointed in these responses (both style and substance). I then received a link from the manager, Charlotte, to a Guardian article about how to be a good tourist, and with a paragraph quoted for my attention about “basic manners” and not being an “entitled traveller”.

Other minor niggles - i) the overall costs included a cleaning fee of 162 NZD and there is some clumsily worded info about how to ensure you remove and sort your rubbish down to the bins at the end of the property before departure, leave the property tidy and a warning that any exceptional cleaning may incur additional charges, ii) there are a lot of stairs and I would have struggled carrying my case up and down them (the alternative is a very steep road), iii) in the Lakeview corner apartment I stayed in, there is no way to see the tv from the sofa without the fireplace mantel obstructing your view; and iv) there is no place / offering to store your luggage once you have left apartment - I was however offered a late checkout of 11am which was better than nothing as my flight was late afternoon.

In summary, I have been travelling in NZ for 3 weeks and am familiar with, and sympathetic to, the staff shortage issue in hospitality. However, for the rates Villa Del Lago charge I believe you could find somewhere much friendlier in Queenstown which does not literally insult you for thinking that you might enjoy some premium features for their hefty price tag.

Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank _MissLulaMaeBarnes
Reviewed 4 December 2022 via mobile

We loved the view but for the price the unit seemed a bit dated. Quite a walk from town and many stairs both in and outside of the apartment. There are also many notices inside about how not to set off fire alarm and the fees you will incur if you do set it off including instructions about making sure to remove garbage (down several flights of stairs) that made us feel unwelcome. A rewording of these notices would probably go a long way

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stevengfarber
Nik Kiddle, Owner at Villa del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2023

Thanks for your review. We make it clear on all of our sites that there are stairs from the car parks to all of the one bedroom suites and there internal stairs in the 2 and 3 bedroom villas but flat access from the car parks. We are on a steep section which means everyone has wonderful views. We have tried lots of different wording for the fire alarm notice and find the only way to dramatically reduce the incidence of alarms being set off is to have a penalty charge. We would love it if humanity was a little more careful and we would not need such notices. We also hope that you understand that there is a global crisis in hospitality service and at Villa del Lago we are suffering from a terrible shortage of staff. It is for this reason that we ask guests to dispose of their rubbish. It's to help the work load of our small and overworked team. We really appreciate all of our visitors, but hope that in these difficult times, travelers come with, patience, tolerance and understanding.

Reviewed 12 November 2022

Very spacious units with everything we needed for a 3 night stay. The location is out of town a bit (5 minute drive) but you are rewarded by a great location and view. Would have been good to have fly wire screens on the main doors to enjoy the breeze etc but this is a strange quirk in NZ, for some reason no-one has them! Not a cheap place for a couple and the cleaning fee when you depart is a bit odd but was advertised at booking. Still recommended if you want something better than a hotel room.

Date of stay: October 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review and hope you had a wonderful holiday in our beautiful Queenstown. You will find the best rates by booking directly on our website.

Reviewed 15 October 2022

Property was mostly as expected and we enjoyed a lovely 5 night stay. Great views. Very pleasant walk into Queenstown and a short drive when traffic allows. There are no restaurants close to this property but plenty in Queenstown and at Five Mile.

Kitchen was well equipped, beds very comfortable and linen spotless but only one bath towel per person which made heated towel rails a bonus.

We had a 2 bedroomed villa with the lounge/kitchen on one level and the bed and bath rooms below. This meant that during the day, using the bathroom meant negotiating and flight of stairs.

A warning, if you are taking a three bed villa, the third bedroom is located above the lounge area and the bathroom is two levels down. Quite an inconvenience in the middle of the night.

Date of stay: October 2022

Thanks for your review. We have housekeeping staff on site each day and they are happy to drop off extra towels should they be required.

Reviewed 25 July 2022 via mobile

Spent couple of nights at Villa del Lago while we were in town. Check-in was smooth except that everything was self-serviced and their reception was closed (yes, you won’t be welcomed or greeted by anyone). The one bedroom apartment was big and cozy despite it’s bit dated; and the lake view from there was magnificent. One of the problems we have had is accessibility issue. There are in fact a lot of stairs from main entrance down to the apartment, and it’s really difficult to move our suitcases from up there to down here. If you only have a backpack, you may have no issue; but if you have 2 suitcases and more like us, then it will be hard (especially under heavy rain and when everything are outdoor without any cover and ground can be slippery). So, be prepared for some fat burning exercise lol!! Also, I’d suggest to drive if you decide to stay here. Yes, it’s around 20 minutes walk to town center but it is definitely not a good idea to walk under strong wind and heavy rain. And let’s not forget taxi is hard to get (as you are away from town centre); and Uber is not reliable at all. Overall, I wouldn’t describe Villa del Lago as a small luxury hotel but a self-catering Airbnb style apartment. Even they have charged quite an amount of cleaning fees, the room itself is not 100% clean; and they would still request the guest to throw all the rubbish into the bin somewhere out there in the car park and to clean everything that have been used before check-out. Feel like we can get something nicer with the same amount of money next time.

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank RilakkumaV25
Nik Kiddle, Owner at Villa del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2022

Thank you for your review. Yes, we have stairs between the car park and our 1 Bedroom Suites, but there are no stairs between the car park and the 2 and 3 Bedroom Villas. We clearly specify on our website that there are stairs from the car parks to the 1 bedroom suites. We are not located in town, but in a quiet place away from the noise of the town centre. Villa del Lago was built in 2000, so it is not new, but all of the kitchens, bathrooms, beds, carpet, timber flooring, soft furniture and decorative cushions and throws are new. Pre-Covid, we offered a fully serviced Reception as well as daily servicing and midstay cleans. Unfortunately, we have been hit very hard by Covid and government immigration and border policies. We are operating with very limited staff because we simply cannot recruit staff here at the moment. Its is for this reason that we ask guests to take away THEIR rubbish and place it in the large bank of bins in the car park. We do not ask guests to clean their apartment. Our costs have also gone up dramatically including staff wages and the cost of all services including laundry as well as the cost of room amenities. Our end of stay cleaning fees only just cover all these costs. July, particularly during the school holidays was a very busy period for us and with very limited staff, we appreciate some tolerance and understanding. Our nightly rates are still well below pre-Covid levels.