7 people are viewing this hotel
urbanite88
Auckland Central, New Zealand

Best central location in Queenstown

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Apr 2024
I had a very nice one night stay at Novotel Queenstown to see the beautiful autumn colours. I appreciated the upgrade to lake front room on the 4th floor as I’m accor gold.

The room was very adequate, not brand spanking new but it had everything I needed and was very clean. The bed was comfy with nice cotton bedlinen and I slept well. The aircon control was a little fiddly to use, I found. I liked the opening windows though.

The hotel has the best central location in Queenstown as it’s in the middle of the CBD. The room rates reflect this, (although I used my accorplus night voucher for this stay). Queenstown is not a cheap town to stay, so I feel for the room rates offered it’s probably a fair deal for such a good location.

The lake view from my room was somewhat obscured by council trees (which the hotel can’t do anything about) but you can step straight out of the hotel to that glorious promenade on the Queenstown lakefront. It’s just gorgeous at dusk. I think I’d try and get a ground or first floor lakefront room next time. I liked being able to go for a stroll and then go back to my room.

There’s no free parking, being in the CBD. I elected to get the valet parking for $28 which was very efficient.

I would return to this property again if the rate was right. I loved the central location, you can’t beat it. I prefer this over walking up a hill to get back to my hotel room in Queenstown!!

NB I had fish and chips at the food truck, Eriks, opposite the Novotel entrance. I wouldn’t recommend that place. A bit subpar and expensive.
Date of stay: March 2024
Room Tip: Ground floor rooms would be very convenient to step out and go for a walk along the lake front.
Trip type: Travelled solo
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded 3 weeks ago
Dear Urbanite88

Thanks for your comments and for staying.
We do not promote our rooms as lake"view" due to the trees and we do try to show this in our photos - the few rooms we have on the front of the hotel are classified as lakeside rooms which we hope better describes them.
It was disappointing to hear that our neighbours Fish and Chips were not to your liking - our team does a pretty good alternative to this for anyone interested.
We hope to see you again soon.

$224
5.3 km from Novotel Queenstown Lakeside
Room service
View more hotels in Queenstown
3,972 results
All reviews great location valet parking in town per day restaurants and shops the ground floor buffet breakfast central location new zealand lake concierge accor internet nz
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 April 2024

We stayed here for 4 nights. While the rooms were very clean they were also old, tired and well worn. Our bathroom basin had a very large crack in it, and so, while it was still completely functional, it didn't look so great. The carpets and curtains are worn and dated. The beds were huge (could be queens instead of kings and have a little more space in the rooms?) and reasonably comfortable. You pay for the location, not the quality of the rooms. Quite expensive for what we got.
The staff on the other hand were exceptional. All of the staff. From the front desk, to the cleaning staff. All were super friendly, professional and very efficient. Absolute credit to the hotel. The location is fantastic and close to everything. We could walk to the gondola/luge in 15 mins. A couple of places we found to eat that we really liked.... Yonder (we had breakfast there, but they did other meals too), Fergburger and hands down the best place was Ferg Bar. Had amazing food, great staff and really cool atmosphere. Good breakfast, and coffee too. Patagonia for hot chocolate and ice cream. Avoid Erics fish and chips, that is a food truck across from the Novotel. Very ordinary fish and chips, and not worth what you pay. Go to the pub in Arrowtown for excellent fish and chips. Although I'm sure there are plenty of places you could find fish and chips within walking distance of the hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Jo T
Jim Moore, General Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2024

Dear Andy

Thanks for the informative review - we appreciate your feedback.

The hotel is due for refurbishment and we as management are working with the owners of the hotel to finalise designs for this work which hopefully will happen in the not too distant future. Our role in the meantime is to try to present the hotel in a clean and tidy fashion and to have great staff - we try hard to achieve this and in most cases I think we do pretty well.
We have replaced a number of carpets recently, replaced all the beds, tidied up the lounge area, replaced 2 or the 3 lifts with the 3rd starting next week, replaced the WIFI system and we are currently repainting a number of rooms - our aim is to keep doing what we need to until such time as our major refurbishment project - this will be extensive and will change the experience our guests get totally. We are very excited to get going on this work and being able to have the very best location, great staff AND an upgraded facility.

It is through comments such as yours that we can focus on what we want to deliver and get the owners to commit to the works.

regards

Reviewed 25 March 2024

Avoid this hotel at all costs. They will charge you for food or services you have not availed of. I filed a complaint to the NZ Commerce Commission as a breach of the NZ Fair Trading Law. The old outdated and run-down rooms, facilities, and halls are not worth the money you paid for. This is the result of poor management. When you complain, nothing happens. This organisation has a bad culture that is unsuited to the business climate in New Zealand. If you or a family member ended up being the next victim, it would be unfortunate. Very outrageous conduct by management and staff.

Room tip: Please avoid Novotel Lakeside Queenstown. You could be the next victim
Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Curiosity68500397874

Dear Curiosity68500397874

As mentioned when you made contact with me I have the right of response to this review to allow context.

Anyone reading this should be aware that:

1 The reviewer is correct a charge for 1 burger ($36) went to their account in error
2 Immediately it was agreed that the charge was wrong and a correction was made
3 On check out the guest started yelling and filming our team and causing some disruption
4 The guest claimed they missed their taxi to the airport due to this confrontation and it was agreed that we would pay for this

Following this the guest wrote to me and offered to accept a payment of $5000 to settle his complaint or he would take a complaint to the Commerce Commission and the NZ Police - I refused to accept such a ridiculous demand and to be threatened in this way. He then said he would accept a full refund of $1160 which again I felt uncomfortable with and refused.
He has threatened legal action and I have suggested he take whatever action he desires - it appears that he has fallen back on writing Tripadvisor reviews.
We maintain that we credited the charge that was identified as incorrect immediately and offered to pay the taxi that was missed and may have done more if the guest had been reasonable.

Hopefully this gives some context to this review.

Reviewed 24 March 2024

Had problems. Was promise email by Claire at reception but no email received after 2 weeks.

The hotel also have deals with lots of group operators and therefor these groups will be banging on your door all all times of the evening when they get the wrong room number.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Simon B

Dear O1104kxsimonb

Thanks for your comments and feedback - it is disappointing that other guests knocked on your room door in error - with 273 rooms it would be impossible for us to be able to stop this.
We do not normally have issues with hot water and so I will follow up with our Engineer to see if there have been issues of any sort that need to be fixed - we occasionally can get a comment but would normally be the result of a fault in a valve or similar which should then be able to be fixed.
I will follow up with Claire to see what the issues were and get someone to come back to you - I am sorry I have been away on leave for the last 3 weeks so am only just seeing this now

regards

Reviewed 12 March 2024 via mobile

Fantastic hotel by Lake Whakatipu. It was my friend's 60th Birthday. The hotel arranged for us the Rose Garden. The Bar with a garden & lake view. The staff was outstanding. The finger food was Kiwi style. The Novotel Queenstown is smaller than its brother's in Asia

Room tip: Great Location
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank GundaBoy

Dear GundaBoy

Thanks for your comments - sounds like you had a good stay and enjoyed your time in Queenstown.

Regards

Reviewed 10 March 2024

The Novotel Queenstown Lakeside is perfectly located on the shores of Lake Wakatipu and closeby to cafes, fine dining restaurants, bars and retail stores.
The lakeside, green space and walkway to Queenstown Botanical Gardens are all located at the doorstep of the Novotel.
The hotel rooms are slightly dated, but comfortable. The hotel facilities include a restaurant, informal lounge area, bar and outdoor garden dining.
The customer service could not be faulted.
Would recommend requesting a lakeview room with a balcony to take in the spectacular views of the Remarkables.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear JMR926

Thanks for your feedback - great to hear that you enjoyed the experience.

We hope to see you again in the not too distant future

Regards