1,001 results
All reviews hot tub new zealand small hotels boutique hotel log fire perfect hosts breakfast was delicious the perfect place to stay other guests home away from home our honeymoon milford sound common areas milford track a wonderful stay comfortable rooms views of the mountains
Reviewed 28 November 2015 via mobile

For a luxury hotel I really expected more from this hotel. I usually don't bother writing reviews but signed up an account because of how disappointed I was by the service.

The rooms and ambiance are top quality. One of the hosts Richard was wonderful and helpful with finding and reserving a restaurant for us. The other employees were helpful. Breakfast was okay and there seemed to be a good collection. Wouldn't get the omelette which was a bit dry and overcooked.

My main issue was with host Charlotte. When we checked in we were already tired from a long bus trip. She greeted us and then went back to get her paperwork for us to sign to check in. On the way back she took several minutes talking to another guest which is fine but we just wanted to get to our rooms. After checking in, I had to ask about the afternoon tea which is served from 3:30 to 5pm. She asked Richard what time it was, it was 10 minutes until 5pm so it was still okay. I have a feeling that if it was 5pm she would've said no. Rules are fine but to have no flexibility at a luxury hotel is not very good service. On the other hand Richard had greeted another guest and asked them if they wanted tea just a few minutes before. While we on the other hand had to ask for it ourselves.

On the day of checkout we were greeted by some wonderful New Zealand rain so decided to go back to the hotel lounge to wait a bit until going to the airport. The staff and Richard greeted us and had no problems with us sitting there. There were literally no other guests there. Then Charlotte comes by and tells we need to leave for incoming (paying) guests for the day. I can understand that if there were a lot of people there and she wanted us to leave but there was no on else. Other hotels allow you to lounge a bit before and after you check in. This place or at least Charlotte seems too strict. I expected more at least service wise from a small luxury hotel.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
5  Thank jxhide
DairyPrivateHotel, Owner at The Dairy Private Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2015

Dear

We were very disappointed and surprised by your review and feel it necessary to clarify what actually happened regarding your issues.

Firstly regarding afternoon tea. I wasn't wearing a watch that day which is why I asked Richard what the time was and to say that I would have said no if it was 5pm is totally unfounded and more importantly didn't happen. We do have set times for breakfasts and afternoon tea which is the same in any hotel.

When you checked out you asked if we could look after your bags for you which we are more than happy to do. At 1.45pm ( check out is 10.30) one of my housekeepers came and told me that you had come back to the hotel and were eating burgers in our lounge which was creating a bad smell in the hotel (not common practice after check out) and she asked you to move into the library. When I came up the 3 of you were watching TV in there. As you know this is a small boutique hotel and we need the rooms for check ins and guests. Our check in times are from 2pm which is why I needed the library free for in coming guests. It's not a great look if I've got people eating burgers and watching TV as they are being checked in. I must also add that while we are always asked if we can look after bags after we have never had anyone expecting to use the hotel facilities once they have checked out and certainly not to bring food back into the common areas.

While I'm sure the weather was not in your favour that day we are dedicated to making sure that our guests privacy and experience is respected at all times and if I allowed everyone to use the hotel after check out, take over common areas and eat burgers in our lounge this would not be sanctuary that it is and is certainly not something we aspire to.

Reviewed 27 November 2015

From the moment we walked in we were greeted with a smile and made to feel right at home. Nothing was too much to ask and the staff are all lovely and very knowledgeable giving us some great tips about what to do around Queenstown. I only have good things to say about this hotel and would definitely stay here again! Thank you so much for your great hospitality!

1  Thank skye_gercken
Charlotte M, Owner at The Dairy Private Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2015

Dear Skye,

We are absolutely delighted that your stay with us was an enjoyable and memorable experience. We and our staff are very focused on delivering the highest level of service in a friendly yet professional environment and it is wonderful to hear that we are achieving that.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Dairy in the future.

Reviewed 25 November 2015

we went to new zealand for our honeymoon, and queenstown was our last destination. We had 2 nights in this lovely hotel and we really enjoyed. It's a beautiful place, the location is perfect for visit queenstown. we had a room with beautiful view. The breakfast is really good !!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Charlotte M, Owner at The Dairy Private Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2015

We are delighted that you and Alexandre had such a wonderful time at The Dairy, as part of your honeymoon.

We're looking forward to seeing you again during one of you're anniversaries, as you celebrate your life together.

Reviewed 25 November 2015

Well located and comfortable accommodation. Good selection for breakfast. Afternoon tea fair----not great scones. Friendly and helpful hosts, happy to make and prepay excursions. No safe in room is a minus.

Room Tip: Our room had no view at all and was dark. Also passing human traffic at night can disturb as right on the street. Otherwise, room and bathroom were comfortable.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We're glad Robert and you had a lovely time at The Dairy.

We'd recommend that next time you book with us, that you book a premier room, so you enjoy a lovely spacious room, with fantastic views of The Remarkables - just let us know when you want to visit and we'll make sure we book a room just right for you.

Pauline, although we do not have safes in each room, we do have safes in the library and as a small boutique hotel we do pride ourselves on keeping everything safe and secure whilst guests are out of their rooms (including the provision of luggage storage before and after guests have checked in and checked out of the hotel).

We never happy to see a 4 out of 5 rating for our hotel, but it lets us focus on what else we can do better for the future!

Reviewed 25 November 2015

this is a lovely hotel, the owners and all the staff are so kind and helpful. The hotel is beautifully maintained and the bedroom was very comfortable and clean. The lounge was a lovely spot to sit and relax for a wonderful afternoon tea or BYO drinks in the evening. The breakfasts were delicious.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay at The Dairy Private Hotel and it was absolute pleasure to provide you with the quality of service and accommodation that made your stay that extra bit special.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!