Lowest prices for your stay
ZenHotels.com
$208
zg64

Exceeded my expectations

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Mar 2024via mobile
I was ambivalent about staying here after reading through the reviews, but all and all I had a good stay. The rooms were a nice size and very clean. The towels were fluffy and plentiful. The location is great for walking to town (7-10min), and the breakfast buffet had a good selection of food. There was a very nice laundry room for quests that I didn’t need to use, but great to know it was there. I was part of a small tour group and there were several large groups there at the same time, but this had no negative impact on my stay.

As noted by many, the rooms could you some refurbishment of the furniture and carpeting throughout, as well as the bath including getting rid of shower curtains. This is just a function of age, not lack of maintenance.

It was an enjoyable stay regardless. With these added touches I’d probably rate the hotel higher. Rooms with a lake view cost a bit more but are worth the awesome look.
Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled solo
Responded 12 Mar 2024
Hi zg64
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay we appreciate you sharing your experience at the hotel.
$362
4.9 km from Copthorne Hotel And Resort Queenstown Lakefront
Pool
View more hotels in Queenstown
1,118 results
All reviews new zealand a lake view room car parking in town hotel room spa bath views lakefront lakeview hill mountains remarkables
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 March 2024

Be careful when you book, the website lays out the booking in such a way that you think you are booking a lakefront room because the way it refers to the room in the hotel, this is a ruse - the hotel is titled that, even though it is a very long way from the lakefront. So we were not exited by our view of other peoples rooms opposite. Now the review.

Before even coming to the hotel, they send you a confirmation email with SIX links on it for things you can add-on to your stay. THREE of the SIX links were broken - error messages, so we did not book a spa or anything. When I tried later to access the Copthorne web site from the hotel guide, the whole site was down..

When we arrived, the receptionist was busy ignoring me. So I said "good afternoon" and she asked me to wait whilst he shuffled some room keys for a while - not a good start. Eventually, she finished gave us a key and we went on the hike to our room. When we came back after discovering our room was at the back, they seems especially well versed at explaining how wrong I was, as if this was well-practiced "you do not understand, superior room means not lakefront or it would say lakefront " of course this was the hotel's booking record, not what I could see from booking - be warned.

So now the room - empty fridge which we later discovered was a freezer, no air conditioning controls just a fan, someone else's dirty make-up swabs in the dustbin, scratches on the wall, marks on the carpet, missing net curtain (because rooms were right opposite we had to close the curtains for basic privacy) or be on display, broken toilet seat, chipped paint and a very run-down appearance overall - this place is a dump. It did not even have a box of tissues - they even have tissues in the worse places in Pakistan.

Later, on our way out to dinner, I asked to speak to the manager who was on duty to tell them about the room, after a long wait, we just left, clearly they have other things to do rather than speak to customers and perhaps even fix a few things.

We had booked for 3 days and as we could not find any other hotel rooms anywhere at short notice, we stayed and on day two they did not even bother to make the bed. Normally as you pass staff in the corridor they say hello - not here, I think there is a really bad vibe here.

Day three the fire alarm went off which turned out to be a false alarm, no surprises there. Checkout I was ignored.

The Copthorne "Lakefront" is a place to avoid. Instead, stay somewhere near the lake !

Room tip: Go somewhere else that does not lie about their location, the room and where some of what you are charge-for actually is provided.
Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Copthorne Team, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel And Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2024

Hi TrevorD74,
Thank you for the review of your stay with us. We acknowledge from your feedback that we have not met your expectations on this stay and you have highlighted a number of areas where you see we could improve. The hotel does have room types with a Lakeview and without a Lakeview sorry if this was not understood at the time of booking. We have investigated the problem you had with the confirmation email but have not been able to replicate this error with broken links, pages down, but thank you for alerting us to the issue you had.

Reviewed 3 February 2024

The Copthorne Lakeside is in a good location, an eight minute walk into the centre of Queenstown. We had a room facing the lake and the view was amazing.
The room was more a three star than a four. It was tired and in need of refurbishing. The curtains were slightly ripped, the wallpaper was coming off in places and the carpet seemed old. The bathroom was decent with a good shower and shampoo etc provided. The bed was very comfortable.

The breakfast was decent with a reasonable choice.

The staff were nice and helpful.

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Copthorne Team, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel And Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2024

Hi Discover60369678813

Thank you for your review, pleased you liked the Hotels location and views. Appreciate the comments on areas you see we can improve and the things we are getting right. Hope you had a great time in Queenstown.

Reviewed 14 January 2024 via mobile

We stayed in Queenstown between Christmas and New Year Eve and found hotel booking extremely challenging. Price is very high and vacancy for 3 consecutive nights seems not exist. Luckily after effortless attempts, we bumped into this hotel online (probably someone has cancelled) and booked immediately even though non-refundable policy applied. We stayed in another hotel for a night afterwards.

This hotel needs a bit of uphill walk (15 mins) along the Stanley Street from the town centre/ intercity bus last stop. We found the location not bad though because the pickup location of any tour eg Milford Sound is in the front of Holiday Inn Express on the Stanley Street which is 1-2 mins away on foot. A public bus stop is also opposite to this hotel and we took the bus to airport economically and effectively (around 20 mins drive).

The hotel itself is beautiful. Rooms spacious clean well equipped and we booked the lake-facing rooms views are good.

The price is affordable and great. I tried the buffet breakfast. Not fabulous and variety is limited.

I tried the private jacuzzi located in a separate building and it required booking. It's rather strange for me frankly as I need to remove the large floating spongy cover of the pool by myself before I was able to enter into the pool for a dip. I had to put the cover back after using the pool. There were no tables or chairs in the room where I could put my clothes and towels so I could only place them on the floor.

I ever tried the room service and the food is delicious and price affordable.

Staff ok and overall, recommended.

Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Copthorne Team, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel And Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2024

Hi MissHK2009
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, sounds like you have made the most of your trip to Queenstown over the busy Christmas - NY time. Thank you for the feedback on the facilities and pleased you liked the location of the hotel close to everything you needed.

Reviewed 11 December 2023

The hotel is great. In the center of Queenstown, you can walk to any place in the downtown area. It has a great breakfast. The place has a laundry and hot tub. I would recommend this place if you are staying in the area.

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Copthorne Team, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel And Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2023

Hi 981JayB
Thank you for your review great that you liked the close to town location.

Reviewed 5 December 2023

Rooms are well-furnished, but the over-powering smell of cleaner-deodorizer-air freshener gave me an allergic reaction. I asked front desk to change rooms, but they use the same chemical hotel-wide. Also, the hotel has been remodeled, added-on, so many times that it's difficult to find your way around. After 2 mis-directions, I found a housekeeper to help me locate my room, 1253. The view is fantastic, but getting there is not for those with weak arms. There is no elevator and you must carry your own bags 16 stairs to get to the nearest floor with an elevator to reach the lobby. The desk promises a porter, but there were at least 60 bags ahead of me. Yikes. Had I known the distance, I'd have waited. Live and learn. Also, breakfast is not good. Runny, gooey eggs, old pastries, nasty coffee. But again, spectacular location.

Room tip: Wait for porter to carry your bags. Open windows upon arrival to air out deodorizer.
Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Copthorne Team, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel And Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2023

Hi Spottypottamous
Thank you for your review, and feedback on your stay, the hotel does have some fantastic views pleased you were able to enjoy them on your stay with us