Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
jessicawalke

Beautiful hotel, luxurious experience

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 27 Jul 2023
The Carlin is pure luxury! We had the privilege of staying at The Carlin for 3 nights and were upgraded to the Eagle’s Nest suite. Our experience was absolutely wonderful, the staff went above and beyond, attending to every need with care. The attention to detail throughout the hotel was unparalleled, from the little canapés they hand delivered each day to the custom scented air fresheners throughout the hotel. We ate dinner at the Oro the first night (highly recommend the King Prawns) which was a phenomenal experience and we looked forward to eating breakfast everyday (we highly recommend the french toast!). When we come back to Queenstown again, we will absolutely be staying at the Carlin! Cannot recommend this hotel enough!
Date of stay: July 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded 30 Jul 2023
Hi Jessica,
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and thanks a lot for such a beautiful review.
Looking forward to welcoming you again
Save more with IHG One Rewards
  • Mercure
    $291
2.3 km from The Carlin Boutique Hotel
Pool
Hotel exterior (seen from the water taxi)
$319
    $297
4.9 km from The Carlin Boutique Hotel
Pool
View more hotels in Queenstown
All reviews oro restaurant star hotel beautiful hotel comfortable beds two nights the kitchen new zealand privacy property luxury fireplace nz views town
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 June 2023 via mobile

Luxe apartment-style 1BR with fireplace, deck & hot tub. Exceptional interior hard product, likely unmatched in Queenstown.

We’ve been to Queenstown many times; we were very happy with the Carlin hard product for our special occasion.

Oozing with pretension (by design), the property is built for Queenstown visitors (and the travel agents who refer them) for whom money is no object.

Nevertheless at US$1.5k+ per night base (same as St Regis Bora Bora; and nearly 2x Park Hyatt Maldives @ 30k Hyatt points vs 40k Carlin), it feels pretty pedestrian to rock up to a ubiquitous 8-unit apartment building, roadside, behind a primary school, beleaguered by road works — situated several blocks uphill (very steep!) from town.

It’s a reasonable use of Hyatt points / Chase UR (40k Hyatt or US$400 value on Chase), particularly when Eicharts is unavailable at the same 40k rate (older property but MUCH better location / curb appeal).

Despite the overly hyped Bentley pickup, we were met both times with a Cayenne. Absolutely fine. Just YMMV on getting too excited about the whole Bentley story. We wouldn’t have flagged it as bait-and-switch, had they not made such a big deal about the Bentley in all their advertising.

Owner was onsite once during our stay. He was primarily interested in promoting the restaurant (chef from France; prawns from Australia), congratulating its local accolades (Viva Magazine? Never heard of it), and name-dropping his other clientele (who perhaps would prefer not be named). I’m sure the restaurant is exceptional (we had other plans), but the interaction was less then. Combined with overwhelming branding (everything engraved “Carlin”), it made the whole place feel like a self-aggrandized owner homage.

We nevertheless felt very welcomed by the staff, who were excellent (esp the bartender!) save one experience where the staff abruptly entered the room without knocking (via an exterior emergency exit to move a mattress — accessing another room through ours).

It’s possible that our experience was a “points” experience — rather than a “paid” one. It was a bit obvious how all the staff (and owner) asked for our name / room before engaging fully (and not-so-subtly governing amenability accordingly).

Despite all of this, and in light of the exceptional interior hard product, I’d absolutely recommend this property those already planning a NZ trip, and who already have Hyatt/Chase UR points to-hand.

Date of stay: June 2023
Reviewed 6 April 2023 via mobile

We pulled up at the hotel entrance, our car keys were taken, we were escorted inside and given a glass of bubbles. Then informed we had been upgraded to the Royal Suite. Escorted to our room, which was to be our home for two nights. Peter fell in love with the bed, which was amazingly comfortable. I had booked dinner in the on site restaurant ORO for 6.30. Dinner was fabulous, we had the salmon and then venison. We spent all day Wednesday on a gourmet wine tour. Then back to our room where we nested for the rest of our stay. Breakfast and valet parking all included in the price. We came away feeling pampered the whole team were fabulous, just loved our stay. Slainte

Date of stay: April 2023
1  Thank Dianna M
Reviewed 28 March 2023

I had the privilege of staying at this beautiful hotel for 28 days. I've traveled around the world, 57 countries, and this was one of my favorite experiences.The esthetic and feeling of the hotel was excellent; high-end, sophisticated, classy, and comfortable. The comfortable part is VERY important to me. I have stayed in some ÜBER fancy hotels in different parts of the world that didn't feel comfortable at all. They felt too fake, cookie cutter, not laid out well, and I couldn't relax in them. My room was large, had a small kitchenette (you can ask for appliances from the kitchen), fireplace, comfy bed, and a spectacular view. Did I mention I had my own private hot tub! The daily replenishment of amenities (snacks and non-alcoholic beverages) along with canapés every evening brought to my room was a lovely treat. I literally felt at home. Mr. Carlin himself, who has had a fascinating journey, invited me for dinner (a birthday gift) the week I arrived and came to have breakfast with me the day I left. How many owners do that??? Not many at all. I felt honored to share my meals with him.

During my 28 days there were some small hiccups, which was guaranteed to happen. No hotel is absolutely perfect. That being said, what stands out at The Carlin compared to most hotels was that the hiccups were taken care of very quickly with the utmost professionalism. If something was taken a little bit longer I was made sure that everything was being done to correct them. Sachin and his team were fantastic! The communication was on-point! They even went above and beyond for me at times for requests that I had.

Now, let's talk about the staff in the restaurant. They were so welcoming, kind, professional, and knew how to tap into the small details of a guest, which makes a high-end dining experience very fun and memorable. From Chris and Timo at the bar, to Luke, Eugene, Richard, Ellie, Julia, and Maria in the dining room, to the chefs in the kitchen, they created SOOOO many memorable experiences for me. The breakfast, which is also open to the public, and dinner was DELICIOUS! I'll mention about the food in a different section of this review.

Overall, if you want to receive detailed attention with friendly and welcoming energy, you NEED to come and stay at The Carlin. They have set the bar of customer service, attention to detail, and feeling at home in a beautiful space not just in Queenstown, but in New Zealand and around the world. I would easily put them in the top 10 hotel experiences I've ever had in my life. Come and stay with them, even if just for breakfast or dinner. You'll have a great time.

The food was so delicious here! I ate here 3-4 times a week. I always look for consistency in a restaurant. Anyone can do a dish great once, but to replicate time and time again is a craft. The team at Oro Restaurant know what they are doing! Some of the best food I have ever had. The lamb rack was the best I've ever had. I never needed a sauce because the essence of the lamb, cooked to perfection, was exquisite. Their venison was outstanding. The oysters were delicious especially with the sauces they provided. Even the sides of potatoes were yummy. The desserts were delicious and presented beautifully. At breakfast, which I don't eat much of, their rosemary hashbrowns were addictive! They have a vegan breakfast, too, which I greatly appreciated.

Along with the food you have the skilled mixologists (Chris and Timo) and talented sommelier (Eugene), which added another level to my dining experience. They had a great selection of cocktails, mocktails, and wine. Something not on the menu cocktail-wise, the bartenders would create something for me whether it was alcoholic or non-alcoholic. They even created some of my favorite classics; the Side Car and The Last Word. Now, I have to give a special shoutout to Eugene. The wines he chose for the restaurant were excellent. What was even better was the wines that were NOT on the list. Sssshhhh....they had a coravin special during dinner and a very private selection of high-end wines by the bottle, which were some of the best I've ever had. You have to come and experience the team of talented chefs, bartenders, and sommelier.

Date of stay: February 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank gabrielgargari
Reviewed 13 March 2023

The most spectacular hotel I have ever and quite possibly will ever come across, the beautiful eye for detail from colour and design to the extra items and services they provide has really given me an outstanding stay. Comfort and hospitality is a huge factor in my enjoyment whilst staying in a hotel and I can quite easily say that the staff really go far and beyond for you, The Carlin Hotel has exceeded my expectations and will most definitely be staying again!

Date of stay: March 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2023

The Carlin is a beautiful hotel in central Queenstown and the perfect base for any travelers visiting the city. The rooms are spacious with modern amenities; the hot tub on each deck has amazing views over the lake.

The hotel incorporates many little touches to mark itself as a high end hotel though it's hard to say whether these justify the price point (especially given how many luxury hotels there are in Queenstown). We appreciated things like the nightly canapes delivered to our room and high quality bedding but felt as though service could be improved if the hotel truly wants to be classified as "six star" like we heard.

I booked two nights for my husband's birthday and mentioned so on our booking, however the hotel did not acknowledge this (most five star hotels will leave a note or sweet treat).

After booking, we were sent a pre-arrival survey asking about our interests and possible tours we would like the hotel to help us arrange during our stay (boating on the lake, skydiving, cycling, wine tours, golf etc...). We filled this out and never heard back from the hotel; it was not even mentioned upon check-in so we ended up arranging our own tours and experiences. Again, not a big deal but certainly less than what would be expected at this price point.

The restaurant was phenomenal and some of the best food we had in New Zealand; I would certainly recommend a meal there even if not staying at the hotel.

Date of stay: February 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank coupleoftravelers23
Dipesh Singh, Guest Services / Front Office at The Carlin Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2023

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for missing those things which could have made your experience memorable with us. Your feedback is very constructive and helps us provide amazing service to all our guests.