“Lunch in the Sun”

Ranked #36 of 299 Restaurants in Queenstown
Price range: US$10 - US$28
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A friendly pub for both tourists and locals alike, situated in the heart of Queenstown. Our aim is to have really good simple food and great service, in a welcoming environment
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We ate a late lunch in the sun recently in the outside seating at The Ballarat Trading Company. It was a delightful day, the food was good and we didn’t at all mind the slow pace of the meal.

We both ordered the burger which comes well appointed with condiments and a slice of smoked Gouda. The burger is served atop a large order of hot fries. More than either of us could have eaten.

The menu is attractive at BTC, and the bar’s offerings are similarly welcoming. We also liked the indoor venue, but outdoors was the place to be on this day.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank NXTTRP
Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We walked in on a busy Monday evening. Seated almost immediately in one of the front rooms. Lovely decor, loved the 2 big iron stands by the fireplace that held lots of pillar candles lit for the rainy night. The staff are quick and attentive. Wine and beer selection awesome. Great bouillabaisse (I asked for no mussels, and they graciously added a lot more clams instead, yay!) and hubby got the huge rib eye which he ate to the bone. I wished the poutine didn't just have beef gravy as the gravy option though, I was craving poutine on a rainy, cold night. Live music starts at 9:30 p.m. as well. The bar had a lot of drinkers watching rugby matches. It's lively, not too loud either. Bathrooms are clean as well, which is always a nice point for me.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place is a bit of a roller coaster.

Nice cosy pub feel, footy on the TV (even in the dining area, not an issue for me), animal heads and a nice location.

Food was great, I got the braised lamb As a main and the mussels as a starter and the wife got the gnocchi, all were excellent.

Staff were very friendly.

Service was poor.

I’m not sure if I just have high expectations, but as long as there is a beer in my hand I don’t mind the wait for food (which did take a long time in a seemingly quite place in a rainy Monday night). There wasn’t consistently a full beer in my hand, and it was up to me to catch the servers attention.

Don’t let that detract you from the meal and the venue, just my petty grievance.

3  Thank Kookab55
Reviewed 8 February 2019 via mobile

Small portions for the price, great bathrooms though, great Tiramasu cocktail! We're able to easily accommodate our group of seven. Half way through the meal the in house speakers started playing music at a loud volume and it became hard to hear people sitting across from you - was later turned down, from what I assume a complaint from another table.

Reviewed 4 February 2019 via mobile

A friend and I shared the meat platter. It was fantastic and although expensive good value. The staff were friendly