Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Climbing Queenstown tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Climbing Queenstown
from US$104.09
More Info
All reviews great instructor rock climb experienced climbers alpine experience double cone signed up amazing afternoon great half day these guys an awesome experience own pace new zealand fantastic trip great fun stunning views lake wakatipu activity
Reviewed 28 March 2016

We had an awesome day out with Climbing Queenstown. We went out on a private trip with Zach and Jess - both were terrific. We had a range of skills and interest in our group and they did a great job accommodating everyone. They were incredibly well trained and safety conscious-- I also really appreciated that they taught the kids details about safety and belaying and tying in. It was a great day. Thoroughly enjoyable- and one kid definitely caught the rock climbing bug!

Date of experience: March 2016
Zach_J1, Manager at Climbing Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2016

Yah! Great to hear that one of the girls has caught the bug, that's exciting news. It's a wonderful and scenic location and pleased to hear that you enjoyed your family day out, we definitely enjoyed having you guys, and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 19 February 2016

This is my first negative review and my only bad experience in New Zealand. We booked a via ferrata trip for Feb 11 as part of a combo with Ziptrek. The combo booking was through Ziptrek and was confirmed by Ziptrek on December 20th. On Jan 31 we emailed Climbing Queenstown to get details on what clothes to wear, etc. They never responded.

That should have been a clue but not everyone is great about responding to email. Once we were in Queenstown we grabbed a flyer and called the toll-free number on it to check on clothing. It went to some woman's voicemail and there was no mention about it being the number for Climbing Queenstown. This was a red flag but at this point we couldn't do much about it.

We showed up at the appointed time on Feb 11 and there was no one around. Apparently their address near the gondola isn't really an office, just a place where they pick people up for tours. A guy was opening the bike shop and he said they hadn't been running tours for several weeks because all of their guides were injured.

I am sorry that people are hurt and I hope they get well soon. Nevertheless, it is completely unacceptable not to pass this info along to clients who had pre-booked tours. Although I had booked through a third party, I had emailed Climbing Queesntown more than a week in advance and they didn't respond. When I went to the ziptrek office to get a refund they confirmed that no tours had been running for over a month and apologized for not informing me. She also said she had tried calling Climbing Queenstown to find out when they were starting up and also couldn't find a viable phone number. As of today there is no mention of these injury issues on the climbing queenstown website's splash page.

In summary, their failure to communicate cost us the chance to plan something else that day and we were bitterly disappointed.

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank 99mkw
Zach_J1, Owner at Climbing Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2016

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear about this experience. It is disappointing that you weren't quickly and clearly communicated with.

Due to the injuries of key personnel, there was a period with no management in place to operate. We have subsequently transferred management to a new director and parent company. We certainly have a view for this to improve our already outstanding service record, and to continue our awesome Tripadvisor Feedback, and our significant returning customer community to grow.

We would absolutely love the chance to make this up to you, and if you ever manage to visit this amazing part of the world, we would love to discuss how we can host you.

Reviewed 2 January 2016

This company offers various climbing experiences, including a Via Ferrata. I'd never heard of one of these before so I decided to give it a try. It's basically like climbing, but there are metal rungs and handholds in the rock that you use to climb. It may not sound like a huge challenge, but I found it scarier and more challenging than I expected. The guide was excellent and the safety is of a very high standard, but it's still quite scary climbing up a rockface under your own steam. I tried not to look down, it freaked me out too much seeing how high it was. Interestingly the harder bits are lower down, once we got through these and even higher up, the actual climbing was more straightforward. I liked how the guide quickly gauged that I was a nervous climber, so he put me on a belay for some of the tricky bits. I still did the actual climbing, but I just felt that bit more confident.

The walk back down was another challenge, some bits definitely required hanging on to the safety rope. It's kind of a shame that it doesn't end with a big abseil or two to get back to the ground. My suggestion is to wear something that gives some knee protection, as mine wound up very battered - trousers rather than shorts.

If you've already done rock climbing then this wouldn't be very challenging, maybe try some of their other activities, but for a non-climber this is a cool way to challenge yourself. I like the Queenstown activities that require some actual physical effort, and this one certainly fit the bill, and I have the blisters and bruises to prove it.

Date of experience: December 2015
Reviewed 20 October 2015 via mobile

Absolutely the best test of everything I am! Loved it loved it loved it! When I'm in Queenstown next, I'll be doing it again to find out where else they go. Just awesome

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed 8 October 2015

Had such an amazing time climbing at Arawata Terrace! Cam was a super guide and was very patient and helpful with the routes. The view from the crag is absolutely beautiful as well. In the full day climb we did about 6 routes, which was plenty! My fingers were shot by the end of the day. Cam also went over a quick intro to lead climbing and explained many of the techniques that he used to set up the routes, abseil, etc. Overall, amazing day. Thanks so much, Cam! Climbing Queenstown is highly recommended!

Date of experience: October 2015