“Best Karaage and Teriyaki ever!”

Yakitori Daruma Japanese Sake Bar
Ranked #97 of 291 Restaurants in Queenstown
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: It's a fusion between a restaurant and a bar, Izakaya (called in Japanese) is a type of informal Japanese Gastropub with a warm atmosphere, offering authentic Japanese dishes and an unique range of Japanese drinks. Traditional Japanese food, cooked right in front of you in an open kitchen, such as Karaage Chicken, Tempura Prawn, Teriyaki Salmon, Sushi, Sashimi, Yakitori as well as Ramen and Donburi. Daruma Sake Bar Queenstown is casual place for after-work drinking and bites, kitchen is open until late!!! You must try the famous Sake Bomb (beer and sake shot), the drink menu offers a lot of different Japanese drinks including Sake, Shochu, Cocktails and Beers. Known for its excellent customer service and friendly and relaxed attitude, take a seat at Daruma Sake Bar Queenstown and get recommendations on new dishes to try or the best sake or cocktails.
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Of all the karaages and teriyakis I hv eaten, this place Beats them all! The Chinese and Japanese female staff were most helpful and enthusiastic! Love the service and gave us 10% discount too! We ate so much - Teriyaki set (10/10), Miso Ramen char sho (10/10), sashimi (5/10), yakitori (6/10), karaage (11/10)!

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank tripreview777

Reviewed 21 July 2018

We came here after a big day out to Milford Sounds. Our tour bus dropped us off around the corner so this was the first restaurant we saw and decided to try our luck. They were busy but found a small table for 3 of us. Order service was prompt but everything went downhill after that. We must have waited over 45 mins for our food to come apart from the Edamame beans. Even the renkon chips were cold and soft. They offered us a vegetarian tempura as a "sorry for the long wait" gesture but to be honest, not sure what happened in the kitchen. Ran out of Ramen too. To make matter worse, the table next to us was a family from Tahiti, after 3-4 glasses of wine, both mum & dad started speaking loudly to the manager and waitress. They were not happy with the beef yakitori as they wanted the beef to be well done...we put up with the slow service, as we were tired & hungry. Won't be rushing back there though

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

We went there at night and the service was very slow & bad. The food which is yakitori was very bad. The price is very expensive. I don’t recommend this restaurant for anybody.

Reviewed 14 July 2018

Overall the meals and services by the waitress are really great even though the restaurant is very busy, but all the waitresses are trying their best to provide their good service. Come to the end when I wanted to pay the bill and informed him that we are booked through first table, he straight away said we should provide the reserved when we stepped in. We did informed the waitress but she not asking the reservation from us. Is this our fault or his staffs are lack of training? When I want to show him my reservation he doesn't need it anymore. I insist want to have a look our docket and check is he charge correctly, he seems not happy to print it out. As a customer don't I have my 'RIGHTS' to check the bill before make payment?
I don't think as a manager like him shouldn't talked so rude to customer and also he can't cope the busy situation in the restaurant.
I hope Queenstown first table should withdraw this restaurant out from their list. We went out for dinner is looking forward to have an enjoyable dinner not "upset" by this type of person doesn't fit for his position.

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

We ate a light dinner of sashimi, sushi and one bowl of Raman noodle soup. Our son loved the sashimi and ate two large servings. The fish melted in your mouth and my husband and daughter enjoyed two orders of sushi. The sushi is very simple but the fish was good quality. I had the Raman soup which was good (not great). Overall an enjoyable meal for a reasonable price.