Open today: 7:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from GO Orange tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience GO Orange
from US$139.74
from US$167.82
from US$238.04
from US$34.41
More Info
All reviews queenstown rafting white water rafting shotover river rafting guide actual rafting great fun wet suits safety briefing starting point helicopter ride beautiful river an adventure clear instructions safe hands great guide life jackets gold mining
Reviewed 15 May 2018

Had a fantastic time rafting on the Shotover river. The guides were all fantastic, they run a well oiled operation and very interactive and chatty with us. The rapids were great and the scenary was lovely. Would definitely do it again.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

Such a fun half day activity, come rain or shine! It honestly doesn’t matter if it’s raining because well, you’re gonna be white water rafting so you WILL get wet. The 40 minute journey to get to the river is stunning itself, and will take you down one of the worlds most dangerous roads! The river that you rafr down is situated old gold mine area so you get an insight to how the area used to be in the gold rush days. Staff are highly skilled and professional, as well as knowledgeable about the river and it’s surrounding area. This is definitely a must do when visiting the adventure capital of NZ!

Reviewed 3 May 2018

We are not experienced white water rafters. The day we went with the group, the rapids were running category 4-5. Not asking (our mistake) we thought the scale went to 10. Nope. It goes to 5 (6 actually, but you can't ride those). So we thought we'd get a little wet, have some fun bumpy rides and spend 2 "relaxing" hours on the river.

It didn't work out that way.

Don't get me wrong, the river staff and guides were incredibly professional, well trained and eventually forthcoming about the ferocity of the river on our day. We just wish the office staff would have done more than ask us if we could swim during the briefing before leaving.

A Cat 5 rapid is terrifying.. multiple Cat 4-5 rapids in quick succession proved too much for our guide and crew and we were all tossed into the water. I was able to grab the boat and went down the river (through 2 more class 4-5 rapids) outside the boat. To say I was shaken by this experience was an understatement.

Again and for the record, we bear some of this responsibility for not understanding how rapids are rated. The staff owns some of this as well as they could have taken more time to explain how physically demanding and potentially dangerous the conditions were.

If you're young (I'm 60) and in great shape (there's massive amounts of frantic paddling and moving around inside the boat) and want to experience the incredible force of a Cat 5 rapid... by all means, check this out.

3  Thank Frank C
Reviewed 25 April 2018

Epic fun highly reccommended ! My wife and i had a great time with the crew and found the staff and experience right from the start really enjoyable

Reviewed 22 April 2018

An incredible way to end our adventures in New Zealand! I knew the white water rafting with Shotover would be good... I had no idea it would be great! The trip starts with a bus ride that's almost as crazy as the rafting! Driving on the 7th most dangerous highway in the world! But don't let that scare you, as the driver makes the road an awesome time! The rafting experience is obviously where it's at though! The water when I went, was freezing! But honestly, I couldn't feel it because of the great equipment we were using! The rafting then goes for about 2 hours and the rapids are crazy! As well as getting to see magnificent scenery! I would also like to give special mention to Jack our guide! He was an incredible part of the experience as the energy he brings to rafting is fun and contagious! His Maori culture also helps enrich the experience, as you can see the significance the land has in his life. It was a joy and a pleasure to share the rafting experience with him. After the rafting ends, a video is professionally made of the great time we had! Along with well-taken photos for a low price! I did the bungee jumping in New Zealand too, but honestly, I think I enjoyed the rafting the most! And that's saying something...