Open today: 7:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from GO Orange tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience GO Orange
from US$168.20
from US$140.00
from US$238.60
from US$34.50
More Info
All reviews queenstown rafting white water rafting shotover river rafting guide great fun actual rafting safety briefing wet suits start point helicopter ride beautiful river an adventure new zealand a lot of fun thanks guys great trip great afternoon
Reviewed 3 May 2018

We are not experienced white water rafters. The day we went with the group, the rapids were running category 4-5. Not asking (our mistake) we thought the scale went to 10. Nope. It goes to 5 (6 actually, but you can't ride those). So we thought we'd get a little wet, have some fun bumpy rides and spend 2 "relaxing" hours on the river.

It didn't work out that way.

Don't get me wrong, the river staff and guides were incredibly professional, well trained and eventually forthcoming about the ferocity of the river on our day. We just wish the office staff would have done more than ask us if we could swim during the briefing before leaving.

A Cat 5 rapid is terrifying.. multiple Cat 4-5 rapids in quick succession proved too much for our guide and crew and we were all tossed into the water. I was able to grab the boat and went down the river (through 2 more class 4-5 rapids) outside the boat. To say I was shaken by this experience was an understatement.

Again and for the record, we bear some of this responsibility for not understanding how rapids are rated. The staff owns some of this as well as they could have taken more time to explain how physically demanding and potentially dangerous the conditions were.

If you're young (I'm 60) and in great shape (there's massive amounts of frantic paddling and moving around inside the boat) and want to experience the incredible force of a Cat 5 rapid... by all means, check this out.

3  Thank Frank C
Reviewed 25 April 2018

Epic fun highly reccommended ! My wife and i had a great time with the crew and found the staff and experience right from the start really enjoyable

Reviewed 22 April 2018

An incredible way to end our adventures in New Zealand! I knew the white water rafting with Shotover would be good... I had no idea it would be great! The trip starts with a bus ride that's almost as crazy as the rafting! Driving on the 7th most dangerous highway in the world! But don't let that scare you, as the driver makes the road an awesome time! The rafting experience is obviously where it's at though! The water when I went, was freezing! But honestly, I couldn't feel it because of the great equipment we were using! The rafting then goes for about 2 hours and the rapids are crazy! As well as getting to see magnificent scenery! I would also like to give special mention to Jack our guide! He was an incredible part of the experience as the energy he brings to rafting is fun and contagious! His Maori culture also helps enrich the experience, as you can see the significance the land has in his life. It was a joy and a pleasure to share the rafting experience with him. After the rafting ends, a video is professionally made of the great time we had! Along with well-taken photos for a low price! I did the bungee jumping in New Zealand too, but honestly, I think I enjoyed the rafting the most! And that's saying something...

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

One of the highlights of our tour. Wasn’t disappointed. Had an amazing time. Jack our raft guide was very good and kept was entertained.
We had so many rapids and even our journey to shotover river was so scenic
We also went through a tunnel which was very unique. Not seen with other rafting tours. Very different experience.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

We booked a rafting on the shotover river, they called us the day before and said it wasn’t happening due to weather conditions, fair enough, and we rescheduled for the day after instead when they said chances would be good to be able to go. Once we were there at 08.00 in the morning the guy we met was a bit nervous looking to get someone else we could speak to since the shotover was cancelled again but they hadn’t told us. We didn’t think much of it but clearly his nervousness indicate that he knew what a downgrade we were in for.

Mark came, good guy, and told us we couldn’t go over to the shotover due to some snow (also meaning we missed out on the canyon views advertised to us in the shop) and gave us the option of joining on the other, lower graded river instead. Some back and forth we decided to go for it since we where there now and didn’t want to go through the hassle of rebooking again.

They told us the other river had 4 rapids instead of 12 but that they were bigger with heavier waves. We got on the boat and paddled along flat water forever, eventually we bumped down a couple of small washes and the last rapid was the only one resembling what I would have expected for more or less the whole time we were on the water. Still not impressed or “pumped with adrenaline” as the guides kept talking about.

When we talked to the guy in the shop where we booked (go orange) we also specifically talked about the sauna they advertised (also in print on their brochure) and that it kind of tipped the scales over to going for us but well on site it turned out the sauna had been closed for weeks already. That’s just scamming straight off.

We came into the shop afterward to have a look at the pictures they shot (since they wouldn’t allow cameras or attached gopros) and it turned out that not only did they want 30 dollars for the pics, the video was a jumble between our and other tours showing clips of other groups doing things. Just stupid.

I guess its on us for not researching the option they offered better, we would just like to issue a warning to others that they don’t seem to care much if you’re happy as a customer and do. not. fall. for. the. downgrade. scam.

Best of luck to you looking for rafting, hopefully you read this before you book.

We liked Mark, he brought this review from terrible to poor.