Review Highlights
Great full day at Doubtful Sound

First time we’ve travelled with Real Journeys but would definitely recommend early taxi pick up at... read more

Reviewed 19 November 2018
WinteringhamSteve
England, United Kingdom
via mobile
Great Day Trip from Queenstown!

Reviewed 1 June 2018
Carol M
Connecticut

All reviews milford mariner doubtful sound day trip driver cruise boat scenery
Reviewed 1 June 2018

I would probably have given this 5 stars if we'd had sunny weather, but I guess that is the exception in this area, and it is one thing Real Journeys can't control! Otherwise, the coach was comfortable, the driver personable and informative ,and the scenery along the way was spectacular! Though a long bus ride, the scenic and comfort stops were very welcome and broke up the bus time.
Thoroughly enjoyed the cruise...just wish we could have had blue skies, (for my photos), but the Milford Sound and the waterfalls are spectacular - reminding me of the fjords of Norway.
We had hoped to fly back, but the low clouds precluded that. The helicopters, however were able to fly back.
I would heartily recommend this trip...even more would suggest one might consider the overnight on the same boat - the Milford Mariner. If I had it to do again, I might try that as a way to see this beautiful sound for more than a couple hours.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 30 January 2018

Milford Sound was simply one of the most beautiful places that I saw in New Zealand, which is itself a country filled with beautiful places so you know that it's good! The lake trip by ferry was stunning including the waterfall, we also managed to catch a glimpse of some local seals sunbathing.
The journey from Queenstown to Milford Sound is about 5 hours one way but feels like 1, there is that much to see out of the windows. The coach was very comfortable, and the driver was very experienced and he knew just where to stop so we could catch all the sights.
All on all I would recommend Real Journeys anytime. A great day out!

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Our driver and guide, Dean, was fantastic, but there is only so much he can do to make six to eight hours crammed next to another person on a bus with no toilets or AC less excruciating. The scenery was amazing, and the rain meant we got to see a lot of waterfalls. The cruise was okay, but in my opinion, not really worth the time and expense to get there from Queenstown by coach. Maybe if you're in Te Anau it wouldn't be so bad, because you'd cut 2 hours off the bus ride each way, but 13 hours from Queenstown start to finish just wiped us out. If I had to do it again, I would have flown back. We tried to get a flight back instead, but the weather grounded the planes.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

If you are going to book a trip to Milford Sound from Queenstown, then you shouldn't go past Real Journeys. A very professional, family owned company that know how to do it right. Although the day is a long one (around 13 hours) they make the trip so interesting that you hardly notice the time. Our driver Chris was an excellent host on the trip, so get on his coach and get there.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

I took their bus on 9/8/17.The bus was apparently too old to run on the mountainous road. It was holding the traffic all the way to the ski field. I saw at least two other buses overtaking it.The driver, Simon explained he had not put the chains on for the muddy road and the weight on the bus had been too heavy. But on the return way, our bus engine still didn't have enough power to support the bus to run reasonably fast. I saw another two buses of Kiwi Discovery surpassing our bus again(and they are bigger in size and weight). This time it was coming down from the top of the mountain. And even on the good condition road, our bus still ran very slowly. Usually it takes 1hour and 15min to complete the one way journey, but it took us 1 hour and 45 min. Can you believe it? Real Journeys should replace it with the new bus.Otherwise their friendly driver would be embarrassed.

Date of experience: August 2017