“One of the highlights of our trip to New Zealand”
Review of Nomad Safaris

Nomad Safaris
More attraction details
Owner description: Nomad Safaris offers guided 4WD and Quad Bike tours around the Queenstown Lakes area. Half or full day and charter options are available. We offer very popular tours to Lord of The Rings filming locations where you can experience the phenomenon that is LOTR. We also run tours to Skippers Canyon or Macetown where you visit old goldmining ghost towns and hear about the unique history of pioneer New Zealand and have a go at goldpanning for yourself.
Reviewed 5 January 2015

This trip was exhilarating. Went on back roads by jeep up mountains that looked like the end of the earth. Plenty of dust, dirt, mud, water and lots of fun. An outstanding half day trip. Halfway, you stop at an old gold rush camp schoolhouse for drinks and cookies. Bring your camera plenty of outstanding shots.

NomadSafarisQT, Guest Relations Manager at Nomad Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2015

Hi Iralgo. Thank you for your lovely review. We love 4WDing and we're glad to hear you did too! Our Landrover Defenders really can handle any terrain. Skippers Canyon is beautiful, definitely bring your camera!! Thanks again for your feedback and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday : )

Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"behind the scenes"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 3 January 2015

Unfortunately this crew makes the 3 stooges look organised. We booked a LOTR tour a week ago, they took the money and said we were OK with the date agreed (couldnt do the day before though). We didnt recieve the promised confirmation email, but soldiered on.

The day before the tour we rang to confirm that all was OK as we had heard nothing. They couldnt find the booking (although they knew my wife's first name - odd). So we went into Info Trek in Queenstown where again they couldnt find it at first but then the second person could. We got the all ok, confirmed, all good.

The following day we turned up at 130 (our tour time) and the first person we spoke to couldnt find the booking, yet again. The second person could (the same one who could find it yesterday). Ten minutes after tour start time and no one was there to take us. They called head office only to be told that there was no one to take us on the tour today.

What a joke. No apology, just "we can give you your money back". Well I'd rather have the agreed upon and paid for tour. We complained to Info Tour about how poor the service had been and the consistent mismanagement of this booking, and us having to chase it. They said it wasnt their fault it was "head office's mistake" whatever that means and whomever they are. I pointed out that they were Nomad's representative so as far as I was concerned they were responsible. No such luck. The manager wasnt keen on a conversation at all and couldnt get us out of the place quickly enough. So thanks guys. The one thing my daughter really wanted to do you completely stuffed up.

We did receive a call during dinner offering us a place in a tour tomorrow, unfortunatley we will be out of Queenstown.

Moral of the story.....be really careful dealing with Larry, Curly and Mo as you might end up without a tour. But at least we got our money back and had a fabulous dinner at Botswana Butchery.

1  Thank GJLRED
NomadSafarisQT, General Manager at Nomad Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2015

Thank you for your review.
The exact circumstances of your tour cancellation varies from your account and I need to make one point very clear. You were called by me on Friday evening (the tour being on Saturday afternoon) to inform you the tour could not go ahead. As you did not pick up I left a detailed message. This was 18 hours prior to departure. The cell number was the one you called earlier that day when you were told we could not confirm the tour. We have transcripts of the phone calls should you wish to question my response.
The reason for the cancellation was totally genuine - one of our guide’s mothers had passed away and he was given time off. This coincided with a very busy day in Queenstown and although we tried extremely hard we could not find a replacement. Your tour was the one we cancelled as yours was the last to book.
We apologised profusely at the time as well as subsequently so it is completely wrong of you to say we did not.
This is not something I recall us ever having had to do in the last 10 years of operation and it is not something we did lightly. I personally called you and if you had picked up your messages then 90% of your review becomes invalid.
I am sorry we could not fulfil your reservation, please contact me if you return to Queenstown for a replacement tour at no cost to you.

Reviewed 18 December 2014

We booked the 4 hour 4WD Wakatipu LOTR tour. It was totally fantastic. Darryl, our guide, knew his LOTR stuff but more than that, being a local, he had vast amounts of knowledge over the area which he was happy to share with us. We were so lucky, in that we were the only two on this tour so we had personal service! We learnt a huge amount about the area, most of which was new to me despite being from the South Island. And the views and landscape were absolutely unbelievably beautiful. Darryl showed us how to pan for gold (not his fault that we were pretty useless at it) and his driving skills through the river and down Skippers Canyon made the trip so much fun.

Definitely the best tour I have ever been on. Would highly recommend to anyone looking to learn more about the Queenstown area and wanting to see some beautiful scenery. Don't have to be a massive LOTR a fan to enjoy this tour. There is so much more interesting information to learn.

Hi Rosie. Thanks for your lovely review. Darryl is a brilliant guide and he knows everything there is to know about our beautiful piece of middle earth. Thanks again for your fantastic feedback and we hope to see you again some day!

Reviewed 17 December 2014

Me and my grilfriend both went on this trip. There were only 6 of us including Paul, our guide, on the tour which made it very personal and interactive. Not only did Lord of the Rings make me so desperate to visit New Zealand but the incredible landscape too; both aspects were completely encapsulated in this tour and photos I took on the tour in September I still wow people with to date. Our guide Paul was a real, genuine good guy as well. Paul would stop if you wanted to take a photo (even a corny photo by the Paradise sign) and literally on the journey home he told us a story for the duration concerning the making of Lord of the Rings and all I could do was listen in awe. An all round great trip with great people which I wouldn't be able to recommend highly enough, just do it!

Hi Liam. Thanks for your lovely review. Paul is a great guide and he know's all about everything LOTR. Everyone loves a corny photo by the paradise sign! Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you had a fantastic time here in New Zealand : )

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 December 2014

My wife and I were lucky to have Cameron as our guide on the 4X4 half-day trip. We visited several locations and were treated to an excellent narrative of the sites, what happened there, how the scenes were adjusted using Computer Graphics who the stars were and how they interact(ed) with the locals and their crew. Cameron was a wealth of information on all things New Zealand and to really top things off, we stopped on the way back at a lake and sent skip rocks skimming across the water. The tour was the Glenorchy tour, one of several offered by Nomad Safaris. It was painless, they even picked us up at our hotel. I recommend this company.

Hi Gene. Thank you for your amazing review. Cameron is a brilliant guide and a fountain of knowledge! We will let him know you had a lovely time in Glenorchy. Glenorchy really makes a gorgeous middle earth. Thanks for your feedback and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday!