“birthday party”

Price range: US$15 - US$42
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2018

The dining was clean and well lit. The menu was explained throughly, meal was excellent. The staff were very accommodating to all our wishes for the evening. Well worth the visit. Would highly recommend Saucey Chef Restaurant to those who wish to dine out in a lovely establishment for a memorable night.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

After reading the reviews we decided it would be ok to book in, my only initial reservation was that the menu was far to extensive which usually heralds disaster, I wasn't far wrong.
I ordered prawn salad, my husband squid, mine was heavily reliant on grated cabbage and lettuce with 6 prawns, for $18 this was unimaginitive and very disappointing.
My husbands calamari was straight out of a box, we knew as we get same at home $14, not lovely.
My main, duck 2 ways, the skin was not crisp and un rendered and chewy, onion capsicum and mushroom should never be served with duck, they are for steak.The large dollop of pickled cabbage was a disaster.
If this establishment was in Auckland it would have closed long ago, the food is cheeky and over priced, complaining we decided would not have got us anywhere as this is the standard they are accustomed to.
Sadly a very miserable dining experience, one star at very best.
Would not recommend what so ever, bring on Queenstown where the food is a 10

3  Thank Lisa O
thesaucychef2017, Manager at The Saucy Chef on St Andrew, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Hi Lisa O,

Thankyou for your feedback it is greatly appreciated.
But i am Terribly disappointed to read this review, as we pride ourselves here at The Saucy Chef for excellent food and service, Our Chef's standard is incredibly high as you would have seen in our other 5 star reviews.
I have passed your comments onto the Head Chef for further investigation into this matter.
You should always feel free to give us your feedback on the night as all comments are greatly received and gives us a chance to rectify any issues immediatley.
Please if you would like to dicuss further with me, I am more than happy to have a talk with you.

Kind Regards,
James Botting
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Had great expectations based on the reviews. Unfortunately this restaurant would not survive in any other part of the country. I suspect the locals like it because your get lots of chips with your meal.

Sure there were plenty of staff on hand, but none wanted to give you eye contact, as they all darted about trying to look busy and did not want to be Disturbed by the diners

The food overpriced, 14 dollars for five tiny pieces of squid on a dank salad. The steak was more stewd than seared lovingly over a hot grill. It was the sort of steak you would expect from your grand mother. Tough bland and black. This is first time I have ever left steak on a plate. They know how to charge, they know how to put in too many staff that don't want to help you , but they don't know how to cook.
Needless to say sorry but we won't be back.

1  Thank Shayne T

Hi Shayne T,

Thankyou for you review.
I am disappointed to read your review, as we pride ourselves here at The Saucy Chef for excellent food and service. Our Chef's take pride in the work they do, as this is noted in our other 5 star reviews we have had.
I have passed your feeback on to the Head Chef for further investigation.

Please if you would like to dicuss your night with us further, please dont hesitate in contacting me.

Kind Regards,

James Botting
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

I went there because of their rating. The place looks fancy and the interior is well done and stylishly comfortable.
The menu is rather restriced towards vegetarians: soup and/or the vegetable stack.
I went for the vegetable stack and was pleasantly surprised. Plenty of different veggies and flavors.
Like most of these fancy places the portion seemes rather a bit small but I did not go hungry before breakfast nonetheless.
Perfect for a one time visit but for more visits I d like more veggies dishes.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

The food was good but I wasint to happy with the dessert they said death by Carmel more like death from no Carmel I think I was lucky to have more then half a teaspoon of Carmel in each pasty was very disappointed tbh