“Not Impressed”

Price range: US$15 - US$42
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 January 2018

The staff at this restaurant need proper training. Being constantly referred to as "youus", an uneducated version of referring to the customer, is very wrong and down grades the restaurant. The menu is very comprehensive. Unfortunately the only meal that delivered was the seafood chowder. The squid, the surf and turf, the beefalo steak and the vegetarian meal were all very basic. The whole place is very 1980's.

JBotts95, Manager at The Saucy Chef on St Andrew, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2018

Hi Inverness1966,

Thankyou for taking the time to share your valubale review, The experiences you described are not characteristics of the level of Food and Service we strive to provide here at The Saucy Chef, and we apologise your recent evening out with us was unsatisfactory. Your feedback was shared with our team.
we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.
Please if you would like to discuss this further please dont hesitate to contact me,
manager@thesaucychef.co.nz

Kind Regards
James Botting
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 2 January 2018

Atmosphere was like a hotel dining space where you have breakfast. The decor is sterile. The service was very good. The starter of salt n pepper squid was nice. The main was a let down. I ordered Beefalo steak ( a hybrid cow n bison steak ) and asked for medium rare. What I got was a steak sitting on top of 3 half potatoes, about 2 inches off the plate and on top was some sprouts with kumara chips. Odd way to serve it. The steak ranged from well done to rare and I suppose it had been cooked on the edge of the grill where it was exposed to over cooking in one part and under on the other. They had possibly crowded the grill and took too many orders at a time. The restaurant was full. I paid $42 for the dish and it wasn't cooked well. It was a let down. My wife's fish dish was delicious and cooked well, so not a complete disaster.

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

This is a bit of a tricky one to review. We had a very pleasant meal here. I would recommend the restaurant - but it didn’t feel like a 5 star restaurant.

The service and staff were fantastic, if I was rating on service alone - it would be a five.

The food was good, it was. But was it the best I’ve had or equal to the best I’ve had... no not quite.

We had the bread, fried chicken and beef cheeks... and even for a moderate eater, that was too much. The pull apart bread was a whole small loaf and the chicken consisted of 3 large pieces. Some help around portion size would have been great as without the bread I could have comfortably finished the main.

For future diners, the price is reflects the portion size - be aware when ordering.

There seemed to be a preoccupation with getting our meals to us quickly, so if you are an eat and run kinda person that’s great... we’re leisurely diners so waiting never really bothers us.

While the meals were large, I’m not sure I saw value in the price tag of all of them, but that’s really up to the person eating. With breads at $13NZD starters at around $20NZD and mains that were mid$30NZD and up... I would call The Saucy Chef a moderately to high priced place to dine.

I would recommend trying it, particularly if your hot on western food.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Frankly, I would never have picked this restaurant from a list. That’s because I find the name just awful. It does not at all convey the excellence of the food and the general sophistication of the place. We tried it because Emily at the Tower Lodge recommended it. And, wow, it was really good, so good that when our flight to Wellington was canceled, we went there again the next night. The food offering was imaginatively conceived and well executed, and the environment was more elegant than that of most restaurants we’ve tried in Auckland and Wellington. So, no matter how I feel about it’s name, this is a terrific restaurant.

1  Thank Ronald G
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

This is my all time favorite restaurant in Invercargill, good for business dinners or family occasions, great choice of the most presentable southern dishes, super friendly staff and great environment. Highly recommended.