“Great service”

Price range: US$15 - US$42
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

This is a bit of a tricky one to review. We had a very pleasant meal here. I would recommend the restaurant - but it didn’t feel like a 5 star restaurant.

The service and staff were fantastic, if I was rating on service alone - it would be a five.

The food was good, it was. But was it the best I’ve had or equal to the best I’ve had... no not quite.

We had the bread, fried chicken and beef cheeks... and even for a moderate eater, that was too much. The pull apart bread was a whole small loaf and the chicken consisted of 3 large pieces. Some help around portion size would have been great as without the bread I could have comfortably finished the main.

For future diners, the price is reflects the portion size - be aware when ordering.

There seemed to be a preoccupation with getting our meals to us quickly, so if you are an eat and run kinda person that’s great... we’re leisurely diners so waiting never really bothers us.

While the meals were large, I’m not sure I saw value in the price tag of all of them, but that’s really up to the person eating. With breads at $13NZD starters at around $20NZD and mains that were mid$30NZD and up... I would call The Saucy Chef a moderately to high priced place to dine.

I would recommend trying it, particularly if your hot on western food.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Frankly, I would never have picked this restaurant from a list. That’s because I find the name just awful. It does not at all convey the excellence of the food and the general sophistication of the place. We tried it because Emily at the Tower Lodge recommended it. And, wow, it was really good, so good that when our flight to Wellington was canceled, we went there again the next night. The food offering was imaginatively conceived and well executed, and the environment was more elegant than that of most restaurants we’ve tried in Auckland and Wellington. So, no matter how I feel about it’s name, this is a terrific restaurant.

1  Thank Ronald G
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

This is my all time favorite restaurant in Invercargill, good for business dinners or family occasions, great choice of the most presentable southern dishes, super friendly staff and great environment. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 19 December 2017

a great place for lunch. Friendly staff and excellent food. plenty of room to relax. good wine list with local wines.

1  Thank rose740
thesaucychef2017, Manager at The Saucy Chef on St Andrew, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

Hi there rose740,

Thanks for the great review, We are pleased that you enjoyed your family lunch with us.
Look forward to seeing you next time.

James Botting
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

Have been here several times. It's pretty hit and miss whether you'll get a good meal. Unfortunately it's more miss than hit.

The resaurant is typical of those owned by the local liquor licensing trust. Expect expensive low quality food.

For the latest experience I tried a seafood salad. Smoked salmon with scallops and prawns. The prawns were cooked well. There were two scallops of which one was very overcooked and the other overcooked. The salmon was inedible - very dry and with an extremely bitter taste. It was sent back to the kitchen were the excuse came back that it was the method of smoking and that's how it was. In my experience that's the result of bad smoking.

The atmosphere is very noisey which is perhaps better suited large groups that don't care about anyone else or the food they get served.

Recommend that you give this place a miss and find somewhere else.

Hi there Kelwyn O,

We are disappointed to hear about your unsatisfactory experience you had with us, i can assure you this is not of our usual standard. It would be very much appreciated if you please contact us so we can get more details to be able to look into this further, to avoid this happening again.
Kind Regards