“Quality food & service”
Review of Industry Cafe

Industry Cafe
Ranked #14 of 120 Restaurants in Invercargill
Description: After purchasing Industry in July 2018, head chef and owner Mark Heffer’s lifelong dream of owning and operating a cafe alongside his family and close friends was complete. With eight years experience as a chef with a passion for good food, that passion is now directed into bringing Invercargill the very best food and drinks possible. We want dining with us at Industry to be an experience, not just a meal.
Reviewed 26 March 2023 via mobile

Generous portions of quality food. The addition of a talented guitarist helped to disguise what could probably be quite a noisy place.
The staff were excellent & willing to meet any requests.
It I had to criticise, it would be that we were fairly tightly packed but that shows how popular they are.
There was a little too much dressing on the food for my taste, but I'll just ask for it on the side in future.

Date of visit: March 2023
Industry Cafe, Owner at Industry Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2023

Hi there, thanks for your review but I believe you are getting us mixed up with another Cafe. We don't have live music.

Reviewed 12 August 2022

Always a great experience when in there, food is delicious and they have been great with allergy requirements.

I dont drink coffee, but my wife says it's the best coffee in town..... based on thorough testing hahaha.

Staff are always very welcoming, even when rushed off their feet.

Date of visit: August 2022
1  Thank solveitandescape

Thanks heaps guys! We are really glad you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 9 May 2022

This was my 3rd lunchtime visit with friends and the third time I was told there was no hollandaise Left to go with eggs Benedict! I would have appreciated being told before I ordered and paid for the meal. The waitress arrived later at our table to tell me and I was given a choice of 2 other sauces, neither of which appealed or to change order completely. I felt the waitress could have arrived with the menu. To save a further wait to ordered the same dish a friend was having! Deffinitely check on the hollandaise status before ordering!

Date of visit: May 2022
Industry Cafe, Owner at Industry Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2022

Hi there, thanks for your review, our staff member on the till has been with us for less than 2 weeks and is still learning.

We are very sorry that she didn't inform you at the time of ordering your meal, this is the usual protocol.

As I'm sure you are aware dairy is incredibly expensive at the moment and as we make our hollandaise fresh every day it isn't something we can risk wasting. If you arrive later in the day or after a very busy morning/lunch I can almost guarantee that you will miss out again.

To break it down for you we make 1 litres worth of Hollandaise for the day and quite often we have to make a decision part way through the day if it is busy enough to make more and run the risk of wasting money or just offering other sauces if people are still craving bacon, eggs and hashbrowns. Unfortunately we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't.

Glad to here you have been back 3 times you and your friends must be enjoying the food 😉 I also see you have made another booking with us for a friday lunch . I'd advise you ringing up and pre booking your meal to make sure that we will have hollandaise for you. Otherwise we will almost definitely be sold out again just by how popular it is.

Mark

Reviewed 22 April 2022 via mobile

Consistently great coffee, industry has a great range of cabinet food as well as menu options. The food is usually very good. Industry is a little out of the way but is a good spot to meet friends or grab a coffee. Its biggest drawback is that it isn’t isn’t open on the weekend.

Date of visit: April 2022

Thanks very much for your review we are really glad you enjoy our food.

Reviewed 29 October 2021 via mobile

The food here is always great, the speed it comes out is amazing and the tea is sublime. However this was all ruined today by the fact we booked our regular monthly table for 7-8 people for breakfast, we were running late and so called to let them know - only to find on arrival we had been bumped from the quiet meeting corner to a pushed together set of tables in the middle of the cafe. We asked if we could go to the usual table and was rudely told by the manager that - ‘had you been here at 8 yes but not now’. The attitude was unnecessary and unwanted by our MD. We spend a lot of time here and come each not just month, but almost daily, and usually find the service top notch but this hit us hard with a lack of respect. The table was booked at 9am for the next lot of people, however when we come for 8 we stay for at least 1.5 hours anyway so we wouldn’t have been clear in time regardless of whether we got there at 8 or not. A simple discussion to say apologies we tried to hold the table for you but we had to swap you over, I’ll do my best to hold it next time for you would have been the correct and professional way to handle it. As a company owner if my staff acted like that to my long standing and regular paying customers I would be highly displeased. Out of respect to cafes ran with a smile and a friendly attitude I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Date of visit: October 2021
2  Thank rap28
Industry Cafe, Owner at Industry Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2021

Hi there

I'm very glad you enjoyed your food and usually the service, however I'm very aware of what happened this morning as my front of house manager informed me straight away.

To be completely honest I agree with her, you rang to say you would be 15 mins late and then arived 30 minutes later.

Upon booking you didn't specify that you were in for a meeting and needed a quiet room. The booking for 9am is a weekly booking that always has that room for their own meetings. I think it's pretty selfish of you to expect us to move you in there after arriving 30 minutes late. How would we have explained that to the group that normally has that table?

Honestly I'm surprised my staff held the table that you had actually booked for 30 minutes. (Especially on Friday at one of the busiest times ot the day) To be honest I wouldn't of and I can't imagine any other food establishment in the country would.

We are still in a pandemic and every penny coming in counts, I think people are very quick to forget that.

Rather than worrying about my Staff members attitude when you arrive 30 minutes late, maybe try being greatful that you were served at all.

We are a family and a team and I back my Staff 100%