“Nice meal but expected salmon”
Review of Speights Ale House

Speights Ale House
Reserve a table
Ranked #7 of 119 Restaurants in Invercargill
Cuisines: American, International, New Zealand
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Southern most Speight's Ale House in New Zealand. Offering only the freshest local produce along with the best tap beer selection in Invercargill.Come and experience Southlands friendly hospitality with food and wine to match everyones tastes.
Reviewed 30 October 2020 via mobile

Nice meal but expected salmon and cod on skewers.....that was what the menu said. Instead a huge amount of salmon and very little cod. Still enjoyed it but was left a little puzzled

Date of visit: October 2020

Reviewed 5 October 2020

I definitely won't be eating there again we never got asked if we would like drinks or got a welcome we didn't even get cutlery or water we had to get cutlery etc from a empty table then I got given a totally different meal to what I ordered and when i told the lady on staff she told me she would give me a refund but didn't no how to so offered me a slice of cheesecake instead which wouldn't cover my cost for my meal I got given a curry which I didn't order or eat and she told me that was the meal on the menu which it wasn't and my partner's whole lamb shank meal was microwaved ..not impressed

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 17 September 2020 via mobile

Having struggled on a wet, cold Wednesday night to find somewhere for dinner that was open but not at capacity we ended up at the Speights Ale House as a last resort. We got the last table there too! However we were soon won over by the friendly and efficient service. We ordered the ribs and the fish and chips to share and the ribs were good but the fish and chips were phenomenal. Crisp, thin batter around beautifully fresh piece of cod with crunchy chips and remarkably moreish side salad. 100% would return.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 16 September 2020

A wet Sunday night in Covid world turns out to be a good night to eat here. Not too many people, very good & friendly staff, and really good food. Chose the ribs - fortunately the entree size as it was a huge serving, and finger licking good. The mud cake with trimmings is to die for.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 13 September 2020 via mobile

Tash and I have been to Speights Ale Houses all over the South Island from Greymouth to Invercargill and have always found them to have a good selection of food and wine and consistently good service. The Invercargill Speights is a warm two level pub with a separate sports area and good atmosphere. We have eaten here twice for dinner and once for lunch and each time we enjoyed ourselves and ate different dishes from the pub menu. All were well cooked, appeared in good time and served by friendly staff who seemed happy to be working there. They catered for a range of special requirements including some vegetarian and gluten free options. The wine list was good basic with some great Pinot and excellent Marlborough Sauv Blanc including a few good Aussie reds. A good old fashioned pub meal with a pint of Speights and a ripping Barossa Shiraz to go with a perfectly cooked eye fillet. What more can I say?

Date of visit: August 2020