“Perfectly cooked seafood”

Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: .
Reviewed 6 April 2017

Plato is tucked away in an unpromising looking location, and in an unpromising looking building. However when I arrived here on a week night it was humming with people who clearly know where to find good food and friendly service. Having read other reviews I was not surprised by the canteen like building or the quirky decor, and hoped the food was up to it. it was. I had the most beautifully cooked piece of fresh warehou with paprika butter and a miso and avocado side salad which was generous and delicious. I left absolutely full and with pleasant memories of friendly wait staff and a really good meal. I will be back.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

Very odd décor, and very odd location for a restaurant which is so upscale and innovative. The menu is very interesting, and the waiters even more so. The food was absolutely fabulous, and the wine list was extensive. I would loved to have eaten there every night for a week, to try all of their delicious sounding offerings.

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

Good main course of curried fish but entree disappointing.
I ordered the paua patties after reading a positive review of them on tripadvisor. Unfortunately they were tasteless and stodgy with very little paua in them.

1  Thank clairnase
Reviewed 17 March 2017

It looks terrible, scratched plastic tables, no outlook, bric a brac, dark... but the prices are POSH. Don't bother! Pleasant staff but they added two extra drinks to our bill. $24 extra... six raw oysters cost $27..come on! and my fish curry just wouldn't settle, kept me awake... better retreat to home cooking! Sorry to be negative, hate doing that.. love being positive but won't try Plato again..lots of good eateries in Dunedin

3  Thank CjmFarness
Reviewed 14 March 2017

I was lucky to go eat at Plato's. You feel like you are in a 50is restaurant, the place is full of chachkies, but when you get your food, you will be AMAZED!!!! Their food menu is very extensive and you will have several choices for just about anything your heart desires. I chose the fish of the day, and let me tell you it was the BEST!!! and I love fish and have it everywhere I travel that is close to an ocean. The prices were also very reasonable. And Nigel the Manager/Chef is great!!! He will come to your table and ask you about the food, and willing to give you something else if you didn't enjoy it!

Date of visit: February 2017