“Great Food”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: .
Reviewed 13 September 2016

Recently went to Plato for Dinner with my wife. Had an absolutely fabulous meal and for those who like plenty the meal was quite large. My wife being Thai loves seafood and so had Local Otago Clams for her main.

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed 29 August 2016

Came here as a group of eight for an informal work do during a conference - has quiet a different décor than you would expect of a restaurant but in a nice way - I liked the ambience it gave.

Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Meal portions are very generous - most of us had fish as there was a good selection of varieties and different ways that it could be cooked. Everyone enjoyed there food.

I had the crispy squid for an entrée that was tender with a nice crispy flavorsome coating. My mains was an excellent Tuna Steak cooked to perfection. Dessert was an Apple and Rhubarb Tart that good too.

Overall an excellent night out - well worth visiting.

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Great meal always reliable and lots if menu choices and fantastic wine list , good parking and staff friendly and attentive

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Despite its formidable reputation I have yet to receive an exceptional meal at Plato. At best the food is overpriced and pretty average and whilst the eclectic environment might attract some people, it does the opposite to me. Generally, because of my previous experiences, it is not a place I would choose to eat at however I was recently invited to attend a business dinner there. On this occasion I was unfortunate to be served very undercooked fish, which for a restaurant that 'sells' itself on its seafood dishes has to be a bit of a no go area .... The service was very good although on previous visits it has rarely been so good. All in all I think 3 stars is pretty generous.

1  Thank Egam2014
Reviewed 22 August 2016

We visited after viewing rating on Trip Advisor, so pleased we did. We were with business people so wanted a good impression. They had not visited this restaurant before so we were hoping for a good meal and it certainly hit all the right boxes. The location was good, with plenty of parking, the place quirky but that added to the occasion. The staff were experienced and knowledgeable The menu was varied to suit different tastes. We will be back there next time in Dunedin.