“Phenomenal Food, Must Try”
Review of Plato

Plato
Ranked #9 of 410 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$14 - US$25
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: .
Reviewed 1 May 2016

My wife and I ate dinner here. The food was amazing. We had read online that it had won some awards for its food and the food lived up to it. We had calamari for an appetizer and it was great. Perfectly seasoned and only a little breading on it which was a really nice surprise. I recommend it, as it is some of the best I've ever had. My wife ordered a tuna steak and it was also one of the best tuna steaks I have ever tried. I ordered the seafood curry and it was full of flavor and really interesting to eat I also recommend it. The service was great, our waiter was timely and friendly. The atmosphere is a bit odd with lots of trinkets lining the walls as you walk in, but I go to a restaurant more for food than decor so don't skip this place because of the way it looks inside otherwise you will be missing out on some really good food.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

The last time we dined at Plato was many years ago and there was a small fire in the kitchen so I was a bit dubious about going back. No fires this time. I had the pork belly with salad for an entree, chicken breast for a main which was very tasty. The others in my group had the seafood chowder and the person who had this nearly broke a tooth on a shell, when we told the waitress she offered a glass of milk as that is good for teeth. The steak was very gristly. The two bottle of wine we ordered were both plonked on the table and we had to unscrew and poor them ourselves. There was a fly that buzzed around us constantly. For the price of the main dishes the overall experience was average.

Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

When we arrived we were not immediately taken by the decor. But it grew on us. The staff were welcoming and efficient and it was a nice touch to talk to the owner. The food was the absolute highlight. We all chose fish dishes so can't comment about other dishes. The fish though was outstanding. Fresh and tasty. The entrees - squid and cerviche - were also outstanding. Highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Terry H
Reviewed 22 April 2016

The service was top notch and flawless - attentive, thorough, relatively quick, and friendly. The server was very happy to share with us the specials of the day, and also did not rush us into finishing our meal - explicitly or otherwise (such as bringing the bill without us asking).

The steak was perfect. The doneness was right on point, and so was the seasoning. The sides were very yummy!

We also had the blue cod with apple and cucumber salsa. I have never seen such a generous serving of blue cod for $30+, and the fish was not only fresh but cooked well. The flesh was shimmery white, and each chunk slid off the rest with ease. It tasted fantastic.

We loved the mains so much that we decided to give their desserts a try. No regrets with the brownie dish, which came warm with a side of lovely vanilla ice cream, a dash of cream, drizzled with chocolate fudge and topped off with berries. Wasn't strikingly inventive but I cannot fault a good dessert, especially when it followed an immaculate serving of mains.

Pity we only stayed a night in Dunedin - we would have almost certainly returned another night to try the other dishes!

1  Thank a_scot_irish
Reviewed 18 April 2016

My husband and I had the misfortune of going to this place last night (we didn't select it, another member did unfortunately). We both had the Chicken meal as my husband was not in the mood for seafood and I can't stand it. We received 1 breast of chicken (butterflied out to make it look larger), 3 small potatoe halves (my husband got 4) and roughly 2 tablespoons of a green vege (we think Kale) all for the sum of NZ$34. Ouch, for not much food! We both had the same dessert, and it actually was just the right amount of sickening chocolate to tart berries - it didn't make us feel full though. We felt guilty that another member was paying as we left that place feeling hungry - the first time we have ever left a restaurant feeling hungry! If we hadn't have had out of town guests with us we would have stopped elsewhere for something to eat on the way home. As it was when we got home my husband raided the fridge for something to eat.

NEVER AGAIN will we go to this place. Overpriced food, for not much to eat and all they seemed interested in was selling us booze.

1  Thank Ker365