See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Me and a friend booked to stay here for the Ed Sheeran concert, we didn’t really have a choice as this was the only reasonably priced accommodation left in Dunedin for that weekend.

As soon as I walked in I realised that this place was horrific. The entire reception area smelt of strong stale cigarette smoke. I was then shown the room.... now I say room, it certainly was not! We was led down some small cramped stairs into a room with sign on the door saying ‘tv room’ it clearly was thrown together with mattresses on the floor, the linen on the beds was actually filthy, they appeared to be a long term tenant (or homeless person) also in the room who had his ashtray on one of of the beds (aka mattress on the floor) and drug paraphernalia on top of a coffee table. A cardboard box was also been used as a bedside table. The room was disgusting, dirty and dingy. I cannot comment on any other areas of the hostel as I didn’t go any further but I dare to think.

No surprises I had zero intentions of staying here! Everywhere in Dunedin was sold out because of the concert, but I’d rather sleep on the street then at this hostel (we did find some last minute accommodation at a fabulous place).

DO NOT STAY HERE. It’s a disgusting, disgraceful, filthy, drug den of a hostel. The worst place I have ever been too.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank KateInTheSkies
Reviewed 31 March 2018

We had booked 9 months in advance for a concert. When we went to check in found out apparently our booking had been cancelled. Although we had a confirmation. However they did offer us other rooms at almost double the price. It was not acceptable to me to have my children staying alone in their own room. What we saw was very basic and I would agree with most of the other reviews. Can't help but feel that the owners just want to make every cent possible. Still offered not explanation as to why our booking had been cancelled (although did politely say that we would not be charged for cancelling! Lucky for us...remember they cancelled!!!) Highly recommend you find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank kimmernz
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Unhygienic, small and was promised a refund to only get a portion back. Looks a lot better in pictures than it is. Difficult to communicate with the staff as they had limited English ability. No drinking rules hardly obeyed and noise wasn’t controlled

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

If your looking for a cheap place to crash it's okay except that the kitchen isn't really usable because none of the right utensils are available. It's a shame because this building is amazing, if the owners put a bit of effort in it could be a great place to stay.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Had to pay upfront. No refund available.
Wifi code given but no access point from our room. Bedlinen dirty - oily?..

Kitchen scruffy and needed to make sure it was clean first before preparing food. Shower room functional but no paper towel or hand drier for "environmental reasons."... probably also saves them money too...........

Room itself, actually not too bad and quite quiet. Needed.

Toilet facilities: BEWARE! Make sure you take wipes in with you and YOUR OWN TOILET ROLL. Rather lazily, the toilet roll isn't placed on any holders and allowed to drift like tumbleweed in the wind. Can't wipe your backside with stuff that's been on the floor, eh? Don't even attempt to blow your nose with it.. lol.

Like a lot of Chinese owned hostels I've been checking out, it might appear that laziness and indifference towards the accommodation and its' cutomers, possibly to squeeze as much profit out of it as possible seems endemic.

Is this owner doing the same thing? Well I know what I think... make your own judgement. Could Stafford Gables go downhill from here? Well.....

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family